Author Topic: Remove all genres from the database  (Read 1051 times)

Peermeneer

Hello ,

I added new genres to most of my songs.
But evry time I make a choice I see a bunch of old genres which I don't need and want to remove from te database so that they don't show up any more.

But how???
Who can help me please?

Thanks in advance for your reaction

Peter van den Tillaard

phred

• Global Moderator
Where are you seeing the genres listed? Is it from the Genre field drop-down from within the Tag Editor? If not, please post a screenshot.
screenshots: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28168.0

If you are seeing them there, and they appear as you type, or see them in the drop-down, it means you still have track(s) that using the genre. Once all traces of the genre is removed from all tracks, the genre will disappear from the list.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

I noticed that there is a huge "repository" of genre names in the Configuration.xml file in the main MB folder.  I have no idea when/where they might appear in a dialog box for selecting genres, as I do all my tagging externally.  Best to start with a screenshot like phred suggested.

Pingaware

I noticed that there is a huge "repository" of genre names in the Configuration.xml file in the main MB folder.  I have no idea when/where they might appear in a dialog box for selecting genres, as I do all my tagging externally.  Best to start with a screenshot like phred suggested.

Those are probably the values used to classify genres into genre categories, which can be customised somewhere in preferences (don't have MB on hand to state exactly where). They won't appear as suggestions unless you have a track tagged with them (as phred said).
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.