Author Topic: (Version 1.3.4) EBUR 128 - Loudness and Dynamic Range Plugin / Tagging Tool  (Read 31818 times)

hiccup

Any chance you can send me your MB settings?

I'll do better, I've send you my complete portable testing installation.
(see PM)

zkhcohen

Any chance you can send me your MB settings?

I'll do better, I've send you my complete portable testing installation.
(see PM)

I just had a chance to test it. I can confirm that the issue is due to your localization settings: French (France) doesn't work, but English (United States) does.

I'm not sure why this is occurring yet.

hiccup

Thanks for taking a further look at this.

What surprised me also about this, is that when you have only activated the plugin but haven't performed any action with it, it obviously affects how MusicBee displays this field.

So it looks like it is running some process in the background even when you have not triggered any action. Is that needed?
I was expecting that only when you run it, it would do an analysis, then write the requested tags, and then terminates.
Is it however nesting itself a bit deeper into the functioning of MusicBee?

zkhcohen

Thanks for taking a further look at this.

What surprised me also about this, is that when you have only activated the plugin but haven't performed any action with it, it obviously affects how MusicBee displays this field.

So it looks like it is running some process in the background even when you have not triggered any action. Is that needed?
I was expecting that only when you run it, it would do an analysis, then write the requested tags, and then terminates.
Is it however nesting itself a bit deeper into the functioning of MusicBee?

Fixed.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nx3xtcyxqiaiib9/mb_Loudness-Analyzer.zip/file

Thalion Korvhas

Is this plugin still being actively developed? Ever since I discovered Foobar's dynamic range plugin, I use it religiously. It is a great tool. So I am excited to see work being done for one in MusicBee. I played around with it a bit & some of my observations:

1) I thought there would be a file created in the directory of the track / album that was tagged. Is that not implemented yet? A permanent record would be very useful. I run the tags by albums & keep Foobar's file in the album folder for future reference. It is also easier imo to open the text files side by side of two albums than trying to compare them vs each other in the MusicBee panel (In fact I am not sure you can at all). I compare different masterings of the same ablum side by side all the time.

2) I guess I did not understand the discussion of a popup panel to view the newly created tags at a glance? I did not see one, so I went to the main music panel, changed to album/tracks view, added display options for the new tags, then went to the custom tag settings (tag (1)) and renamed them accordingly.

3) There really needs to be a couple of better descriptions in the settings panel. I understand the terms dynamic range, peak, rms, dynamic range low, dynamic range high. You are using more exact terms & it is a bit confusing. I keep having to look up the terms to coordinate with what I know. For example: The term RMS does not appear at all in the settings panel. I finally figured out that Integrated Loudness was RMS. Please add (RMS) to the front like you did (Peak) with True Peak. Maybe it is my ignorance, but I will have to do more reading to understand what the thresholds mean.

4) Any chance to allow us to change the name of this plugin to a custom name? I would prefer a more layman's name so that in 6 month's to a year I come back wondering what this plugin is.

5) It would be nice to see the values to at least 2 decimals. Values for say peak as -1.14 instead of just -1.1, etc. A bit more accuracy is nice especially when comparing similar masterings.

6) I have only used one program such as this. I thought the values between the two should be comparable. The peak & rms values are sort of close. They are often 1 unit off from the foobar one (I.E. rms 17.6 vs 18.5). The dynamic range average/high/low are very far off in multiple tracks vs what I am used to seeing in the Foobar plugin (I.E. Foobar will give a value of 12, this plugin will say 6.34). I do not intend to be rude, but that is not correct. a DR of 6.34 means this track is compressed and it is not I can tell by listening when it is compressed. Because of this I really do not think I can trust this plugin. Please do not think I am being rude, just giving feedback.

The good news is that I got this plugin with MB to add the new tags to the files & populate them as I would expect them to. I really think this will add nice functionality to MB. Thanks for the efforts.
Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 11:13:23 PM by Thalion Korvhas

zkhcohen

Is this plugin still being actively developed?

You make a lot of great suggestions, but I haven't had the time to work on any of my plugins for a very long time.

Unfortunately I barely knew what I was doing when these were written, so there are a lot of improvements that could be made.

That being said, the source code for all of my plugins is public on my GitHub: https://github.com/zkhcohen/mb_Loudness-Analyzer

Thalion Korvhas

Is this plugin still being actively developed?

You make a lot of great suggestions, but I haven't had the time to work on any of my plugins for a very long time.

Unfortunately I barely knew what I was doing when these were written, so there are a lot of improvements that could be made.

That being said, the source code for all of my plugins is public on my GitHub: https://github.com/zkhcohen/mb_Loudness-Analyzer

If you ever find the time to perfect it, it would be a great addition to MB. The Foobar plugin is not being developed either. The biggest problem with it is, you cannot customize the tags that it writes. It only writes 2 tags - album DR and track DR. Yours will write so much more.

hiccup

Hi zkhcohen.

Is it safe to assume this plugin will not be developed any further?
(I'm probably asking the obvious, since you have already explained elsewhere how busy you are in real life these days)

zkhcohen

Hi zkhcohen.

(I'm probably asking the obvious, since you have already explained elsewhere how busy you are in real life these days)

You're right, I honestly don't have the time to maintain them. The only plugin I really utilize (and every day, for that matter) is the Spectrogram plugin I created, so if I ever run into an issue with that, I would definitely update it immediately.

I think I'm going to transfer all of these repos to a new GitHub profile and make them public. I'll set a reminder to do that later today.

zkhcohen

Hi zkhcohen.

All of the repos for my plugins are available on my github: https://github.com/zkhcohen/