Author Topic: earliest release year  (Read 463 times)

hiccup

This MusicBee forum is one of the exceptions on the internet where it's as good and friendly as the software itself...
Glad I found it, and will pas it on every chance I get  8)
Please don't share this treasure with any lazy or not-so-well-behaved acquaintances.
To be honest, The Hive usually treats those far less kind ;-)

Tony_D

Yup, that's why i never asked at the Picard forum, I will be a duck in hunting season  ???
I saw your name there before and the answers from the advanced forum users were a bit slippery i thought.

O.k. Hope fully you won't shoot me down now because i still need to ask you something.
Looking at the image below you can see 3 arrows and 2 different year entries....

I have no idea what the difference is between the ORIGINALYEAR & ORIGYEAR but the year field at the bottom is not reflecting the earliest (oldest) year.
I do understand the the particular song is a remaster of the original 12 inch.
The original song (was written in 1971 for a musical) and sung in 1989 by Liza herself.
You see my issue here, I'm after the 1989 date but I certainly can't use the 2021 that Picard is giving me :(
So still much manual labor in checking many songs, but it save me half the work already, and that's a good thing.

O.K. enough confusion now... Question;
Looking at the Metadata in the image above, did i edit something wrong in your last script addition that the YEAR = 2021 and not 2016 ?

Tony D

hiccup

Yup, that's why i never asked at the Picard forum, I will be a duck in hunting season  ???
I saw your name there before and the answers from the advanced forum users were a bit slippery i thought.
To be honest about that, my beef with that forum is/was predominantly that 2 or 3 people with some 'forum power' have all characteristics, behaviour and deceptive tactics of 'social warrior activists'. Of which I am completely allergic to.

The guys who are doing the actual work on MusicBrainz' database and Picard are great.
People such as outsidecontext and RDSwift are gems, and are always extremely helpful, understanding and knowledgeable.
I would be very surprised if you would indeed get nasty or condescending responses if you ask for help on this kind of stuff on their forum.

Looking at the Metadata in the image above, did i edit something wrong in your last script addition that the YEAR = 2021 and not 2016 ?
Are you also using my 'Tag mapping' script?
At a quick glance, there may be some conflict happening using both that one, and this 'earliest year' script.

So I may need to go back to the drawing board for both scripts.
It's best not to invest time in using these scripts together until I have figured things out and reported back.
(which is not going to be today)

PS
If you get bored in the mean time, this could be an interesting read concerning variations of original year, original date, origyear, etc.:
Tag Mapping: MusicBee, mp3tag, Picard

And for understanding how the script makes use of the Recording Date plugin, you can find some reading material here.
Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 05:42:14 PM by hiccup

Tony_D

Had a bad rest last night, my data is still wrong :)

I have re-read all the steps in this thread and something bothered me so I went on investigation and watched some video's regarding Picard.
I came to the conclusion that I missed one step and that is activating the 'recording date', have missed that, noob mistake, apologies for that.

It's done now, but luckily that I didn't waste your time with that as after further testing on the same test CD's from earlier it doesn't give a single year that is more accurate of different (in my case) so I guess I leave that plug-n of as it increases querying time more then 10x

Below here I want to share with you the latest amendments that i made according to your earlier post to delete 1 line and 1 line.
I start to doubt myself in everything now so before you (eventually) continue please check what i have done as I don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase, there is enough time in the world, but it is precious...

Take your time, I'm not posting here now to rush you (just additional info)
I have been (as explained earlier) been having a love / hate relationship with Picard since many years, I will leave it installed this time around as You have come a long way towards the end of the tunnel :)
I will not give up if it takes some more weeks, months or years, I'm persistent, it took me more than 10 years to find MusicBee, only now I am at piece with digital music playback, haven't touched my large vinyl collection in quite a while, dust is building on op my Technics :)

(I will do some more reading to educate myself but I'm afraid it will be a long road ahead...)

Tony D.

hiccup

…as after further testing on the same test CD's from earlier it doesn't give a single year that is more accurate of different (in my case) so I guess I leave that plug-n of as it increases querying time more then 10x
That's odd. With my testing (CD1), without the plugin activated 10 songs are tagged to be in the 50's, and with the plugin it increases to 13.
Not a giant improvement, but still.
The slow down when using the plugin is indeed substantial. Especially for compilation albums.

I have slightly modified the earliest year script in this post.

To get the regular 'date' (MusicBee's 'Year') written with Picard's 'original year', add the following line to the bottom of the script.
(or create a separate script for it)

Code
$set(date,$if(%_originalyear%,%_originalyear%,%originalyear%))
Let me know if there is still something not working well?

PS
When using the Tag Inspector to check date/year values, be aware that you may see tags or values that were not written the last time you used Picard on them.
They can be older tags that were written before that, and were not deleted or overwritten later.
Last Edit: Today at 03:06:59 PM by hiccup