Author Topic: Library organising using spaces in album titles not the letters?  (Read 1381 times)

EmWag1999

Hi there, when I am in my MusicBee library, I can see my music is organized in a way where if there is a space in the title of a song, album, artist etc, the space is taken into consideration when the library is organised.
However this is causing me the problem of the wrong letters coming after eachother.
For example, i currently have it set to organize by album, and the album 'ABBA' is coming AFTER the album 'A little more personal'. Obviously the 'B' in ABBA is before the 'L' in Little, so the library is obviously organising it in a way where a 'space' is counted as a letter. And a letter that comes before A. Is it possible to stop this? As I really want my albums in actual order :/

Any help is much appreciated!!
-E

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Both of these approaches to alphabetizing are valid (see http://editingandindexing.com/alphabetizing/, although obviously things get much more complicated than just what to do with spaces), but you can easily change how items are ordered by editing a track and going to the Sorting tab. If you enable custom sorting, then editing a sort value on one track will automatically apply it to all tracks with the same artist/album/title/etc. (Although in your example, wouldn't you ignore the article and put "A Little More Personal" under Little?)
Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:51:17 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

EmWag1999

I suppose that example would come under 'L' yes..  but how do i make it do that..? The song isnt in the right place for it to be by 'L' either...   I don't really understand the page you sent :/
I literally just want my library (whether organized by album, artist etc) to be in correct alphabetical order, but thats not the case.
If we forget about the 'a' in the title,
it's still 'little more personal' coming above 'abba'..  which is even worse XD Sorry it's a pain, I just really want to sort it out and don't understand complicated methods etc from pages

frankz

You can exclude "A" or anything else as a word from being used in sort under Edit->Edit Preferences...Sorting/Grouping...ignore words.

Although it's not the way you prefer, the link shows that the way MB sorts is valid.

If you want to override the way MB sorts, you can do that by using custom sorting as described above.

This may help: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Using_Sort_Order

EmWag1999

I see, so do i prefer letter by letter and MB uses work by word..? How do I add a new word to ignore? It has ' the' and ive tried adding a comma and putting 'A' but its made no difference so far

EmWag1999

LIterally all I want is it in the right order. Whether it starts with 'A' or 'L'. I just want to know how to stop it organizing by spaces.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You seem to have caught on to all of my response except the most important part:

You can easily change how items are ordered by editing a track and going to the Sorting tab. If you enable custom sorting, then editing a sort value on one track will automatically apply it to all tracks with the same artist/album/title/etc.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

EmWag1999

No I did do that, i tried it quite a few times, but no change.. I set it so sort to 'Little more personal) but it's stilll in the same place...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No I did do that, i tried it quite a few times, but no change.. I set it so sort to 'Little more personal) but it's stilll in the same place...

Ok. Can you please post a screenshot of your sorting tab? Otherwise, any further advice will just be speculation on what's not working.

If you need help with screenshots, see this page: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Posting_Screenshots
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
I just tried those values and all working fine here. The only thing i can think of is MB doesnt re-sort the main panel (intentionally) after editing. So try pressing F5 to refresh or alternatively click the Album column header twice to re-sort