Author Topic: Yet another uninstall question  (Read 2281 times)

frankz

I don't think you're understanding what a library is.

Your library is the mbl file and associated data. The  mbl holds all of the data about your music files. It holds your playlists. It holds whatever tags aren't stored in the music files themselves. It holds your play history and song ratings. To have multiple libraries means replicating each of these data points across each of your libraries if you want them to stay in sync. Maintaining multiple sets of duplicate playlists. Somehow synchronizing database-only tags. Why would you want to have that hassle when there are server solutions (including one in MB with the sometimes problematic dlna plugin) that eliminate it?

I mean, you do you.  More power to you. I'm just saying there are less complicated and likely to break ways to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish than the one you seem locked-in on.
Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:26:50 AM by frankz

deraudrl

I generally do all the tagging and gain adjustment at rip time, so external tags are a non-problem. Ditto for song ratings and play history...I've been described as OCD, but I've never bothered to keep track of my music at that level. (Forgetting that I already own a particular CD when I'm looking at it on Amazon is a completely separate problem.  :) )

Actually the only thing I care about keeping in sync is the playlists. As it turns out, keeping them with the rest of the music files (i.e. one copy) is trivially easy. You seem to be reading more into this than is really there.

At this point, I've got my questions answered and have MB working like I want it to.

deraudrl

Your actual music tracks can be anywhere you want them to be, including on a mapped network drive. Just don't put them in C:\users\<username\Music, or anywhere else in the C:\users directory.
That puzzles me a bit, as a lot of users (including myself, pre-NAS), would already have their music tracks in C:\users\Public\Music by default. Indeed, where else would they go on a typical non-networked Windows installation?

phred

• Global Moderator
default. Indeed, where else would they go on a typical non-networked Windows installation?
Anywhere the user wants. Since c:\users is a windows protected file, I have always found it more beneficial to keep as much as possible on any partition other than c:\. And if the user has only one partition (c:\) then I find storing it in any directory other than c:\users\music. Windows does some strange things when trying to protect files. Often to the point of over-protection.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here