Author Topic: How do I? Copy part of my library to laptop for holiday listening?  (Read 1060 times)

ziabo

Hello!

My core Library is stored on NAS and being auto-organized. MusicBee desktop is located on my laptop and linked to the NAS location.

1.When I travel, I want to copy some Albums from core NAS library to my laptop.
2.During my vacation, I may add some new music to the laptop.
3.Once I am back, I want to sync changes to my core library on NAS.

What is the best way to handle this?

I can live without  point 2 and 3, if it is too complicated to arrange.

Then, what is the best way to copy part of the library to laptop?

What comes to my mind:
1. Copy Albums / Playlists usind Copy To command. Copy it to my Music folder on laptop (the folder structure will mirror my core library on NAS as it is being auto-organized)
2. Created new [Laptop] library in MusicBee and link it to the same Music folder on laptop
3. Link Moitored Folder to the same Music folder on laptop and set 'new file action' to 'add to library' so new files are automatically added to Laptop library

Does that make sense?

Thank you!
Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:20:36 PM by ziabo

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For 1) your best bet is probably to create a virtual device on your laptop and send whatever files you want from your library to that device.  I'm not sure off the top of my head if 2-way syncing is possible with a virtual device. If it is, that may also cover you for 3).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ziabo

Just checked your workflow - that's what I need, thank you!
Unfortunately 2-way sync is not working, but I can live with it.

For the virtual device sync, I can see two option (correct me if i wrong):
1. Itunes style - where I set the folders/music/playlists to be synced. So MB will add checked folders / delete unchecked automatically.
2. Manual way - I just drag&drop/'send to' my music to the virtual device. And deleted it manually when I want to. In this case auto sync rules must be turned off.

Correct?

Thank you for your help!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That sounds about right. I think you can use method 2 along with the auto-sync, with the caveat that if you run the synchronize command those tracks will probably be removed again.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)