Author Topic: Adding a keyword to multiple files without overwriting/replacing all others  (Read 1063 times)

bierdc

Greets.

I've decided that I want to use the keyword tag to document personal associations with certain songs (e.g. "Winter" for songs that remind me of winter, "Night Driving" for songs I like to hear when driving at night etc.).

To break my question down using an example--

File-A keywords: Winter; Night Driving
File-B keywords: Winter; College

Say I want to select both files and add keyword "Had A Pizza Delivered But They Forgot The Crust" while also keeping the tags that already existed on each respective file.

How can this be accomplished? Everything I've tried ends up replacing the entire tag and I wasn't able to find an obvious answer/solution online.

My plan has been to temporarily make playlists for individual keywords so I can select all the files and add them at once instead of going through files one at a time. This plan probably won't work particularly well if I'm replacing the entire tag every time I try to add a keyword.

Any tips?

Pingaware

The easiest way to do this is batch editing from the Tag Inspector. Select all the relevant files, open the tag editor window, then click on Tag Inspector (at the top of the box if you use the windowed view). In the Tag Inspector, click on the + button on the right hand side. This pops up a window where you can specify what the tag you're adding is and what its value should be. If you fill that in then save everything, it should come out as you want.

Disadvantages to this approach are you won't have your keywords alphabetically sorted (I think, although someone may contradict me on this) and you don't get to define what is separating the keywords. Other than that, is probably your best MB-based solution.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

frankz

You need to use the Additional Tagging Tools plugin to do this. You basically replace the tag with its current contents plus the addition. I think the preset is called Add Custom Text to end of tag. The custom text would be ; Had A Pizza Delivered But They Forgot The Crust

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
File-A keywords: Winter; Night Driving
File-B keywords: Winter; College
Say I want to select both files and add keyword "Had A Pizza Delivered But They Forgot The Crust" while also keeping the tags that already existed on each respective file.

Any tips?

My tried and tested method of dealing with this way of cataloguing music tracks, is by using the "Grouping" tag.
For example, "Grouping" could contain [Winter Night Driving Party Chill Bored Pizza] etc. etc.  (no : ; or , needed).
Experimentation is worth the effort! There is room in the Grouping tag for about 46 (?) characters, so just enough for your 'Pizza' note, but that would be better added to the "Comments" tag, as much more space available, plus the playlist can also be configured to check the Comments tag.

Create Auto-playlists with config settings of...

Grouping contains Driving  (Will list All tracks that have the word "Driving" plus any other in the Grouping tag).
OR
Grouping is Driving  (Will list All tracks that have ONLY the word "Driving" and no other in the Grouping tag).

I also use this method for RATING my tracks, (Grouping [4 Star 5 Star], then the star ratings always stays with the music file, which can be most useful if ever you have to do a complete re-install..

Example Auto-playlist:-

Name: WINTER
 Music track source: Library (music library)
 Display using view: default
 Match: All of the following rules
 Grouping contains WINTER
 Grouping contains DRIVING
 Shuffle: Random
 Select by: Track
 Automatically refresh the matching tracks
Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 12:42:36 PM by Freddy Barker