Author Topic: 2 way sync w/android or DAP?  (Read 3595 times)

kro4k

Hi,

In reading over the website and forum it seems that there is no way to sync ratings on an android back to MB. I understand this is because there is no "MB player" for android (is there a preferred/recommended paid/unpaid android music players with MB?). As of 2018 this seemed to be the case.

Is that still true?

And for those using other DAPs like Fiio, is 2 way sync possible in that situation?

Thanks! 

bierdc

Pull up your device in MB and check the settings tab for 2-way synchronization. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that feature being able to perform the task you desire (and I'm also pretty sure that it was supported by my Moto Z with the SD card mounted as an external storage device).

Alternatively, you could look into indirect/2-stage syncing over wifi:
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Synchronize_Android_by_Wifi
Theoretically, you could permit both clients to modify the files and apply the most recent changes to all devices.

As for Android apps, all I can say is that I settled on Pulsar but it won't work for you because it uses the "love it" or "neutral" rating seemingly independent of the files' metadata. I'm ok with that because I only sync 4+ star files and very rarely change them.
I too would love to hear if there is a recommended app since there is [very sadly] no MB for mobile.

And I don't know what is the Fiio DAP of which you speak, but I've seen that some dedicated DAPs run a version of Android--and if it does, perhaps either of the methods above would apply to that too.

phred

• Global Moderator
Alternatively, you could look into indirect/2-stage syncing over wifi:
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Synchronize_Android_by_Wifi
Theoretically, you could permit both clients to modify the files and apply the most recent changes to all devices.
No, it doesn't work like that. Currently the WiFi sync is one-way only - from MB to Android. It is still an alpha build and there are things that haven't been implemented yet. At this point Steven is trying to make sure basic one-way syncing works.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

bierdc

Maybe my understanding of the process is off then  :-\

If MB is writing your ratings to the files themselves, then any 3rd-party syncing software should be able to match the files' metadata on each device, should it not?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see the problem.
Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:44:56 AM by bierdc