Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310535 times)

Madmaxneo

Afaik Musicbee Wifi sync doesn't even have an option to select folders. It should just run. Android must be doing this on its own accord. This sounds like Android wont let you use its native folders. Did you chose one of the pregenerated "music" folders or even the "android" folder?
Try and create a NEW folder, from windows explorer or the android explorer and set your Musicbee to copy the files to that. Call it Music2 or something. Worked on my s23.
So move all my music to a completely new folder? Will this mess up anything else?

Kartoffelbrei

So move all my music to a completely new folder? Will this mess up anything else?
Out of principle: always and most definitely. ;D In case the files get deleted during the process you could make a backup of the transcoded files so you dont have to sync again in case you already did a run. There is always room for fuckups.
Just fyi. in the end i ran into too many problems with the app and now i am using the alternative "indirect method" with a secondary transcoded library and resilio. So far im quite happy with this solution. https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Synchronize_Android_by_Wifi
Setup was easy. Except the fact that i didnt know i had to deselct "selective sync" for resilio to do something.
Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 04:00:47 PM by Kartoffelbrei

Madmaxneo

Out of principle: always and most definitely. ;D In case the files get deleted during the process you could make a backup of the transcoded files so you dont have to sync again in case you already did a run. There is always room for fuckups.
Just fyi. in the end i ran into too many problems with the app and now i am using the alternative "indirect method" with a secondary transcoded library and resilio. So far im quite happy with this solution. https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Synchronize_Android_by_Wifi
Setup was easy. Except the fact that i didnt know i had to deselct "selective sync" for resilio to do something.
I'd just delete all my files then have it sync to the new folder. If this doesn't work and if I get the chance soon I will check out the method using resilio. Thanks for the info!

skst

Sounds like you're still going to the app and then trying to find the setting. Don't do that, find the setting and then find the app.

If I understand correctly you're doing:

Search for app -> go into app's settings -> click file permissions -> see only media options -> no profit

Which to be fair makes the most sense, but just don't because it wont work lol (I did this first too).

You need to:

Search for "all file access" in the generic settings app (I don't know if you can even find it manually, so to save time I just use the search feature) -> select this, get into a menu with a big list titled special access -> select first option "all file access" -> find the app in question (music bee in this case) -> ensure the little flip switch is blue (toggled to the right, meaning active) -> profit

:)

Sadly Music bee is not in this list of apps under "all file access"

Same problem here. When I run MusicBee WiFi Sync (MWS) for the first time, Android prompts to "Allow MWS to access photos and media on your device." This is because the app is categorized as a media app, so Android will not permit it to have access to every folder on the device (i.e., no root folder). As noted above, Android will not even let the user grant permission to MWS to access the root folder. This would not be a problem except that MWS will not allow the user to select a folder other than the root of the device.

Something has to change: Either MWS must be classified as a general "files" app (not just media) so Android will allow it to access the root, or MWS has to accept a subfolder. Personally, I prefer the latter since there is no need for MWS to access every folder and file on my phone. I'd prefer to give it a MusicBee subfolder to play with.

As a software developer, I know not everything is as simple as it seems, but it seems that it should not be too difficult to change MWS to operate in a subfolder instead of the root. Which brings me to the post below...

I forked off from the main repo and made it compatible with Android 13 if you want to try it https://github.com/mayallst/MusicBeeWifiSync/compare/master...akarabak:MusicBeeWifiSync:development.  Tested on Pixel 7 and Xperia 1 III.

Most people probably do not want to wrestle with Android Studio and gradle (which are both horrible) and build an APK to sideload on their phones, perhaps you could submit a pull request with your fix to the original repo? I'm sure the author would be ecstatic to have a fix for this and close out this thread. :)

As for Resilio, I used it a few years ago and it was a great tool. An excellent (and free) alternative is Syncthing.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid
Windows: https://syncthing.net/
SyncTrayzor is a great Windows shell around Syncthing: https://github.com/canton7/SyncTrayzor

Madmaxneo

I realized that this will not work. I don't just sync my entire library, I just sync playlists. If a song is added to a playlist or I add a new playlist then the wifi sync usually adds the missing songs onto my phone, unfortunately resilio doesn't seem to be able to sync playlists.

Kartoffelbrei

I realized that this will not work. I don't just sync my entire library, I just sync playlists. If a song is added to a playlist or I add a new playlist then the wifi sync usually adds the missing songs onto my phone, unfortunately resilio doesn't seem to be able to sync playlists.
Ah well. Did the seperate folder fix work? Remember its just the existing folders Android doesnt want you to use. Not the ones you generate.
I dont understand why the sync cant run throught for me even with the fixed version posted here. It chokes out when i hit around 7000 to 10000 songs. Timeout errors galore.

Joemd

Hello everyone. Just tried the wifi sync for the first time and I keep getting the error "playlist files not matched in MusicBee." What is this indicating is the issue, as both MusicBee and GoneMad have playlists of the same name. I'm not sure what I should be looking at here to try and sort the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I did search this issue on the forum but only found a bunch of people yelling at one another.

landoooo

Hi there!
I am getting an error while trying to sync my PC with Xiaomi 12 Pro. There is message "MusicBee can't match the device name to an existing configuration. Enter the device name that is displayed in MusicBee:". I think that the problem is in technical naming of my device. While MusicBee on my PC identify it as "Xiaomi 12 Pro", MusicBee Wifi Sync says that its name is "2201122G". I tried to enter "Xiaomi 12 Pro" into the input field, but it doesn't work for me. Also I already tried to reinstall both apps on PC and android device, delete device on PC and do a wire-sync again, so I have no idea what should I do next

Suffering the same problem here. My "Mi 10T Pro" in windows doesnt match the "M2007J3SG" from the MB wifi app. Have you found a solution? Anyone else facing a similar issue?

Lonchik

Hi there!
I am getting an error while trying to sync my PC with Xiaomi 12 Pro. There is message "MusicBee can't match the device name to an existing configuration. Enter the device name that is displayed in MusicBee:". I think that the problem is in technical naming of my device. While MusicBee on my PC identify it as "Xiaomi 12 Pro", MusicBee Wifi Sync says that its name is "2201122G". I tried to enter "Xiaomi 12 Pro" into the input field, but it doesn't work for me. Also I already tried to reinstall both apps on PC and android device, delete device on PC and do a wire-sync again, so I have no idea what should I do next

Suffering the same problem here. My "Mi 10T Pro" in windows doesnt match the "M2007J3SG" from the MB wifi app. Have you found a solution? Anyone else facing a similar issue?

I recently installed the app and ran into the same.  But was able to get past it.

(going by memory recall, so forgive inaccuracies)

When going through initial setup, at one point some text verbiage actually covers an input field that contains the name of the device.  The issue is that it defaults to model number, rather than device name.  But to sync it needs the actual name that you gave to the device (same one that appears when you do bluetooth sync, or network identification, etc.)

To get to the verbiage, I had to do some tricks to hide keyboard which would make it briefly appear (like half a second) and at that point tap it.  It would put cursor in there, but get covered by that verbiage, but then keyboard would come up... you then have to blindly delete name that's there and type your device name.  But trick gets harder b/c at some point cursor jumped to the front, so I wound up with proper name prepended to default wrong name.  so then I used space-slide (at least on my phone, where you tap and hold space key, and then moving left or write moves the cursor) to slide to the end, figure out how many times blindly to tap backspace, and tapped it.

Once the proper name was in there, it worked.

landoooo

I recently installed the app and ran into the same.  But was able to get past it.

(going by memory recall, so forgive inaccuracies)

When going through initial setup, at one point some text verbiage actually covers an input field that contains the name of the device.  The issue is that it defaults to model number, rather than device name.  But to sync it needs the actual name that you gave to the device (same one that appears when you do bluetooth sync, or network identification, etc.)

To get to the verbiage, I had to do some tricks to hide keyboard which would make it briefly appear (like half a second) and at that point tap it.  It would put cursor in there, but get covered by that verbiage, but then keyboard would come up... you then have to blindly delete name that's there and type your device name.  But trick gets harder b/c at some point cursor jumped to the front, so I wound up with proper name prepended to default wrong name.  so then I used space-slide (at least on my phone, where you tap and hold space key, and then moving left or write moves the cursor) to slide to the end, figure out how many times blindly to tap backspace, and tapped it.

Once the proper name was in there, it worked.

Played a bit with the input field and it actually worked! Thanks @Lonchik! Im facing now the "next" issue. The "You cannot use this folder". I will try to free some time to dig into it :)

boroda

this plugin is able to. it uses resilio as for real syncing, but also generates proper playlists for mobile devices.

Shougun

I was wondering if anyone had any work arounds when the app can no longer find the server. Before I would simply purge the app's memory and resync to the library; however, this causes the app to stop tracking changes and so anything that happened before the last sync is not brought over after you fix the app. This can be really frustrating.. Is there a way to keep the app from forgetting the changes that have been made while reseting the rest of it?

Just timeline if it helps:

day 1- rate song 1 star
day 2- try to sync via app, app cannot find the server
day 2- reset the files in the app (by going to the app in settings)
day 2- sync, doesn't sync anything prior to day 2 as it doesn't recognize that it changed
day 3- rate song 1 star
day 3- sycn, works because it hasn't broke  yet

Not sure what causes the data reset to make it work, but I wish someone might have an idea on how to prevent the app from forgetting what changes have been made when I do that.. Or something else to do to make it work.

The error if it helps: "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall is not blocking MusicBee".

Thank you!
Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:05:35 AM by Shougun

phred

• Global Moderator
IThe error if it helps: "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall is not blocking MusicBee".
Make sure MB has been opened and finished scanning for new/changed files before opening up the WiFi app.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Shougun

IThe error if it helps: "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall is not blocking MusicBee".
Make sure MB has been opened and finished scanning for new/changed files before opening up the WiFi app.

I've waited a while, nothing seems to be going on in the app (not searching, etc). Just happens sometimes in the past where the fix was to clean out all the app data in the android phone, and then it'll see the server right away :(

Just wished I didn't have to lose the comparison thing it does, so it doesn't realize once it finds itself that it should grab changes prior to when it forgot who it was.

Shougun

Removed the device from the list in the PC music bee settings, then synced and tried the app. Still says can't find server. Every time I purge the memory of the app in app settings of the phone it fixes this, but it forgets all the changes to ratings prior to that purge....

Does anyone know how the app works to preserve the memory of ratings, or any other way to sync GoneMad ratings to PC? Does that other app write ratings to file, the power something or other...?

I really want to be able to rate things on my phone and my library get it, consistently. Ready to change apps on the phone if needed, or use other solutions even if it takes more setup.