Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 315556 times)

BoringName

I'd like to suggest you put together a 'how to' in the Tips & Tricks section. This should help folks who are getting updated devices to find the 'fix' more easily than going through this entire thread.

Probably a good idea. I'll get to it at some stage if I can shake off this procrastination phase I seem to be going through. My default response to pretty much everything at the moment is I will do it tomorrow... I didn't test positive for covid but I was sick with something a couple of weeks ago and it's just sucked the life out of me.

phred

• Global Moderator
I didn't test positive for covid but I was sick with something a couple of weeks ago and it's just sucked the life out of me.
Feel better.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bougicien

I've been using Wifi Sync with my S22 Ultra since release and had no issues. Today all of a sudden, without any system updates I got the error "To protect your privacy, please choose another folder". I don't know what to do. Should wired syncing still work (logically won't but I cannot try right now). Do I have any other alternative? Any solution incoming?

phred

• Global Moderator
Today all of a sudden, without any system updates I got the error "To protect your privacy, please choose another folder".
Obviously something has changed on your phone.
Could there have been a silent update?
Could you have enabled automatic updates?
What Android OS do you have?
Have you changed to  another folder?
Wired sync will probably still work, but I can't be certain.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bougicien

Today all of a sudden, without any system updates I got the error "To protect your privacy, please choose another folder".
Obviously something has changed on your phone.
Could there have been a silent update?
Could you have enabled automatic updates?
What Android OS do you have?
Have you changed to  another folder?
Wired sync will probably still work, but I can't be certain.
Nothing major. Android 12 and One UI 4.1 since I got the phone. The usual Play Store and Galaxy Store app updates only.

HannibAlBundy

@BoringName- since a number of users have found and used your suggestion for getting syncing to work with Android 12 and 13, I'd like to suggest you put together a 'how to' in the Tips & Tricks section. This should help folks who are getting updated devices to find the 'fix' more easily than going through this entire thread.

You might also consider adding it to the Wiki. If you have questions or need help with the Wiki, I suggest reaching out to psychoadept, who is very familiar with it.

Thanks.
I don't know if it is possible or not for Steven, but hosting BoringName's apk somewhere and link it in the forum and/or in the wiki would much easier for everybody I believe.

Edit: Or I can provide the APK I built, this not a problem at all.

boroda

I don't know if it is possible or not for Steven, but hosting BoringName's apk somewhere and link it in the forum and/or in the wiki would much easier for everybody I believe.

Edit: Or I can provide the APK I built, this not a problem at all.
+1. i think this topic (with apk download link) must be pinned on this board.

phred

• Global Moderator
+1. i think this topic (with apk download link) must be pinned on this board.
Unfortunately this thread is about 70 pages long and there's no point to making it sticky. I have asked BoringName to recreate his "fix" in the Tips & Tricks section. And to the Wiki.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

i meant to pin new topic with download link to apk file at first post. and, yes, it may be placed to "tips & tricks" board instead of this board.

phred

• Global Moderator
i meant to pin new topic with download link to apk file at first post
Ahh, yes. But again, that would be on BoringName to create it and then notify the moderators and one of us will make it sticky.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

BoringName

I'll get that tips and tricks post done in the next couple of days.

I was a bit reluctant to add a direct link to an APK.
1. I thought it was good for people to do it themselves as they can see the original code and know what changes had been made,  even if they didn't fully understand them, I think it's fairly clear none of the changes are malicious.
2. Linking APK's could lead to a situation where a bunch of people start linking their "version" and I don't like the idea of people getting in the habit of just installing things from random people on the internet. Once you have a bunch of unofficial versions floating around it would be easy for someone to take advantage of that.
3. I didn't want to do it unless Steven was ok with it. While he has said he wants someone else to take it over, he hasn't said he was ok with linking to a custom APK. I haven't messaged him directly, I'm sure he gets hassled enough.

That being said, linking to an APK would be the best option for most people. I doubt a lot of people want to mess around with android studio and coding.

phred

• Global Moderator
All good points. I look forward to seeing the write up in Tips & Tricks when you get to it.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

mtnagel

Normally syncing works just fine, but every once and awhile I get the "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall is not blocking MusicBee." error.  This is what the error log says:

2022-09-26: SM-S901U1;  12;  2.2
20:38:46: loadPlaylists: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to /192.168.86.21 (port 27304) from /192.168.86.34 (port 42834) after 10000ms: isConnected failed: EHOSTUNREACH (No route to host)

I've tried closing and relaunching everything, restarting both phone and computer and turning off my firewall and I still get the error.  It seems if I just try again later it will usually work again at some point but I don't know what's changed.  Any thoughts on what's happening with I get this error randomly? 

So digging around in the Google Home app, I see that my phone's IP address is 192.168.86.34 (like the error says), but my computer's address isn't 192.168.86.21 like it says in the error (it's 33).  So assuming that's the problem, how can I get the sync app to see that my computer's IP address has changed?   Sorry if I said something stupid.  I don't know much about networking :)

phred

• Global Moderator
Not sure, but you can try a force stop on the WiFi app and then going to storage and clear data and clear cache. Depending on your phone, this would be done from settings > apps > MusicBee WiFi Sync storage. Then I'd uninstall and reinstall. No guaranty, but it's worth trying. Remember than the first sync should be a wired preview - no need to complete the sync. After the wired preview, then try the WiFi app.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

mtnagel

Not sure, but you can try a force stop on the WiFi app and then going to storage and clear data and clear cache. Depending on your phone, this would be done from settings > apps > MusicBee WiFi Sync storage. Then I'd uninstall and reinstall. No guaranty, but it's worth trying. Remember than the first sync should be a wired preview - no need to complete the sync. After the wired preview, then try the WiFi app.
I was trying to avoid that since I'd lose all the playcounts since my last sync, but I went ahead and did that and it's still not working.  After reinstalling the wifi sync app, it's weird because it doesn't start at the first screen, it immediately goes to the page asking what to sync instead of trying to find the server.  I cleared cache and storage and restarting before reinstalling, so I don't know why it's not starting from scratch.  So bizarre because it's been working perfectly fine since I got my S22 a couple week ago and then suddenly it's not :(