Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310615 times)

kro4k

I'm having an issue where changes (to ratings) aren't being pushed back from GMMP via MusicBee Wifi Sync to MB (from an Android 12 device).

You need to have the paid version of GMMP for it to do any reverse syncing.

It also could be a permissions issue with Android 12. I'm surprised you were able to get it to sync in the first place as most people get stuck in the loop of selecting the sync folder and it popping up an error about it not being the root directory. There is a solution to that on previous pages of this thread.

It might be a permission issue. I've got the paid GMMP and can sync files, but just not reverse sync ratings. So far haven't found anything on this thread (but might have mixed it).

I'll see if I can reproduce what I did to avoid that permission issue.

BoringName

So far haven't found anything on this threadit).

On page 66 I detailed how to get the source code from github, make some changes and compile it in android studio. Obviously that requires installing android studio but there is plenty of guides for that and it's not that complicated.

I've also compiled another version that handles permissions requests a bit better for the user.

I could just provide a download link to my apk I guess, if Steven is ok with it. But it would be at your own risk, I'm not a developer and no idea if what I've done is a security risk etc...

Kanobis

sync is returning an error: "File not matched in MusicBee. Playcount not chan..."

Not having gotten a response from Steven yet, I decided to play around with my sync app and GoneMad. Previously, upon suggestions from those in this thread, I cleared caches and then subsequently data from both apps, neither of which fixed the issue. Today, I tried two new actions. I completely uninstalled then reinstalled the wifi sync app. And in GoneMad, I deleted then rebuilt the program's database from within the app (without clearing app data). My wifi sync app now works perfectly once again. I unfortunately did not separate those two steps before trying the sync app again between the two actions, so I can't say which of the two actions corrected the error. Anyway, I just thought I should post that the issue is fixed so that a potential remedy for anyone who may come across the issue down the road is available on record (and so that when Steven comes across this thread, he doesn't need to worry about responding).

BoringName

GoneMad has just updated. Interestingly they went the "all files permission" route and I guess google play said that was ok.

The other half has just gone for a walk listening to music on her phone. I'll get her to do a sync when she gets home and make sure it all still works.

BoringName

Reverse syncing still works with the new version of GoneMad, for play counts anyway.

mtnagel

For those having the SD card root error message on android 12 I may have got it working.

Disclaimer - I've never touched Android Studio before so I am totally winging it so everything is at your own risk. My partner was using iSyncr with iTunes but the developer sold it and the new owners have screwed it up and are charging $44 a month subscription (WTF!!). So I convinced them to move away from iTunes and now I've spent the last 2 days trying to get this working because there doesn't appear to be any other options to sync playcounts from android.... tried Media Monkey first as I used that 20 years ago but it's just rubbish now, multiple crashes and buggy UI behaviour turned me off very quickly. So here I am re-compiling an app, that's what it's come to. It make me think there is a big gap in the market right now.....

I joined just to say thank you so much for doing this and posting the instructions. This solved my play count/ratings syncing issue with Music Bee and  GoneMad.  This post should be bumped every new page so new users coming here to figure out why syncing isn't working can see it.  The one tip I might add that might be obvious to others is that I had to uninstall the unmodified MusicBee Wifi Sync app before installing this modified version worked.  Thanks again!!
Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 02:08:48 PM by mtnagel

BoringName

I joined just to say thank you so much for doing this and posting the instructions.

I'm not really a fan of how this forums software does quoting. It would be great if you could highlight part of someone's post and that is the only part quoted when you click the insert quote button.... maybe I'm doing something wrong. I just manually edit the quote at the moment.

With that out of the way.... you're welcome.

I'm currently working on a cover flow plugin that's really monopolizing my time. If I ever get that sorted out (that's a big if) I might look at taking this over so it can be updated on the apps store. At the moment I'm not confident enough with Java to take it on. But I will always be ready to do a hack job if something else breaks as the alternatives to syncing to android are rubbish compared to this one.

mtnagel

I joined just to say thank you so much for doing this and posting the instructions.

I'm not really a fan of how this forums software does quoting. It would be great if you could highlight part of someone's post and that is the only part quoted when you click the insert quote button.... maybe I'm doing something wrong. I just manually edit the quote at the moment.

With that out of the way.... you're welcome.

I'm currently working on a cover flow plugin that's really monopolizing my time. If I ever get that sorted out (that's a big if) I might look at taking this over so it can be updated on the apps store. At the moment I'm not confident enough with Java to take it on. But I will always be ready to do a hack job if something else breaks as the alternatives to syncing to android are rubbish compared to this one.
I attempted to edit my message to shorten the quote and I ended up deleting my message.  Oops :)  I tried to recreate it, but if it looks different, that's why.

Anyway, it would be awesome if you could pick up maintaining this as who knows if Android 13 and above will break something else? 

Kartoffelbrei

I noticed that the app scans the IPs 192.168.1.?. Is it possible to implement that the IP is set manually because my IP space is 192 178.100.?

SkyZippr

In case anyone is using Android based Huawei smartphones like P30, and can't get reverse sync from GMMP to work, follow BoringName's instruction on page 66. Be sure to do everything especially the last part, which I quoted as below. If you omit the last part, it will still show the 'paid version needed' error when you  attempt reverse sync, even if you do have to paid version of GMMP.

I'm fairly sure this will work on Android 11 but if it doesn't you could also try the following.
In the AndroidManifest.xml file, change the following code -
android:allowBackup="true"
android:theme="@style/AppTheme">

To this -
android:allowBackup="true"
android:theme="@style/AppTheme"
android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true">

A huge thanks to BoringName! I never managed to get reverse sync working ever since I got this phone (Huawei P30). Now I think it's finally syncing 2 years' worth of playcount back to my PC!

oneformula

so i have a new PC. it was a bear to get the wired sync up, but that seems to be resolved.

ISSUE: i want a way to sync my play counts from my android (samsung galaxy S22 Ultra using Poweramp) back to my PC. i can't. wired sync doesn't update my play counts, and wifi sync (how i used to do it w/ old pc) won't work.

after doing a wired sync, "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall..." message.

i have MusicBee set in Windows Defender to allow MusicBee for private and public access.

tried rebooting everything. all latest software versions.

help???!!! thanks!!!

BoringName

It looks like the S22 launched with android 12. I could be wrong but I don't think the MB wifi app will be able to reverse sync with PowerAmp in android 12 in it's current state. 2 things need to happen before that can work.
1. PowerAmp needs to change it's code so that the playcount data is not stored in it's own data folder. These folders are completely off limits to other apps in android 12 no matter what file permissions are granted. A rooted device might be able to bypass it.
2. If point 1 happens, the MB wifi app will need to be modified to look in whatever folder poweramp chooses to store its playcount data

Currently the MB wifi app you download from the play store will not work on android 12 for reverse syncing.

There are instructions a couple of pages back in this thread on how to get it work by downloading the code, making some changes and building your own app package. But this will only allow reverse syncing to work with the paid version of GoneMad.

As for your issues with the server not showing up, I have replied to you in the other thread.

mtnagel

Has anyone updated to Android 13 and tested reverse syncing with BoringName's APK? 

NighTeagle

It looks like the S22 launched with android 12. I could be wrong but I don't think the MB wifi app will be able to reverse sync with PowerAmp in android 12 in it's current state. 2 things need to happen before that can work.
1. PowerAmp needs to change it's code so that the playcount data is not stored in it's own data folder. These folders are completely off limits to other apps in android 12 no matter what file permissions are granted. A rooted device might be able to bypass it.
2. If point 1 happens, the MB wifi app will need to be modified to look in whatever folder poweramp chooses to store its playcount data

Currently the MB wifi app you download from the play store will not work on android 12 for reverse syncing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G with Android 12, MusicBee Wifi Sync App v2.0.0 and the latest Poweramp version (build-939-bundle-play).
Up till now I've always been able to reverse sync my playcounts with MusicBee.

I've had some occasional troubles during the sync, which I believe were related to a bad wifi connection and not related to Android 12.

In short, reverse sync does work for me with Poweramp on Android 12.

after doing a wired sync, "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall..." message.

i have MusicBee set in Windows Defender to allow MusicBee for private and public access.

help???!!! thanks!!!

I had to set my laptop's IP address to static for the wifi sync to work. Don't remember exactly how I did this a few months ago. I believe I found some comments on this forum which helped me to get it working.

I sometimes still struggle to get a connection even with static IP, but then I try restarting Musicbee and the wifi sync app or even the laptop & smarthphone itself. That has always fixed any remaining connection issues.

BoringName

In short, reverse sync does work for me with Poweramp on Android 12.

Well that's good to know. Here are the 2 lines of code that grab the sync info
Code
String[] projection = {"folders.path", "folder_files.name", "folder_files.rating", "folder_files.played_times", "folder_files.played_at"};
            try (Cursor cursor = contentResolver.query(Uri.parse("content://com.maxmpz.audioplayer.data/files"), projection, null, null, null))

The next few lines of code iterate through the cursor variable to extract the ratings and play counts. I think I misunderstood the code, I thought content://com.maxmpz.audioplayer.data/files was attempting to access PowerAmps data folder but I think that is actually a URL that tells PowerAmp to supply the stats data when queried. That makes a lot more sense.

I assume you have the paid version? Pretty sure I tested the trial version and reverse syncing didn't work.

I might have to edit a few posts I've made on here implying it might not work.