Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310635 times)

HerrMerkt

Here's a screenshot. Thank you for taking a look into this.

For your convenience, I have copied the original post:

I am using a Pixel 6 Pro and want to sync MusicBee to the internal storage.

I have already run a successful wired sync.

If I try to run WiFi sync, the app asks for permission to access the storage. I cannot select the internal storage root folder because Android 12 won't let me, but I also cannot access any other folder because WiFi Sync wants access to an SD card root folder. This is strange, because I selected internal storage and you can' insert an SD card into the phone.

Is there any fix for this issue?
I run Windows 11 on my laptop, but the laptop setup worked with the old phone just yesterday. So it's probably Android 12.
Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:22:59 AM by HerrMerkt

phred

• Global Moderator
For storage path - does the drop-down to the right of the field show any other option?

Google Translate shows "Speicher" as "Storage" but I don't know if that refers to internal storage or the card. On my devices (neither running OS 12) it offers the option "SD Card."
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

HerrMerkt

This is the only option and it's also the name that the Windows file explorer shows. It must be the internal storage because the phone does not have an SD slot.

phred

• Global Moderator
This is the only option and it's also the name that the Windows file explorer shows. It must be the internal storage because the phone does not have an SD slot.
Let's see if I have this correct... the path is set for internal storage. You try a WiFi sync and the device asks for permission to access the SD card even though you don't have an SD card. Is that correct?

What happens if you grant permission for the card and then try to sync? Does it sync to the internal storage path as configured in the settings? Or does it show an error?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

HerrMerkt

Not exactly. Sorry for being ambiguous yesterday.

If I click on sync now button in WiFi Sync, the app asks for the permission to access the storage. In this dialog, I see all the folders that are saved on the internal storage, so everything is fine.
However, the "use this folder" button is greyed out when I'm on the "root directory" level, according to Android 12, this is due to security reasons.
If I now try to select the "Musik" folder in that the music is stored, the app tells me that this is an invalid folder. The verbatim error message is:

"Folder "Musik" is not valid.
You must select the SD card root folder and note one of it's subfolder.

As I have already mentioned, the folder "Musik" is stored on the internal storage and the button to select the internal storage root folder is greyed out.
I have tried deleting all the app data and re-installed the app, but the result is still the same.

phred

• Global Moderator
Well ... you started out saying "this is strange" and at this point I have to agree. I'm out of ideas, so you'll have to wait to see if someone else comes up with a suggestion or two. I still go back to my comment that the issue is very likely to be Android 12's "new" permissions.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MCDoubleDefDP

Thank you anyways.

I just want to confirm that what you are experiencing is in fact due to Android 12. I first reported this back in August when I was part of the beta: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.msg193643#msg193643.

The workaround I found was to set up the app in Android 11 before upgrading, but I know that's not an option on the Pixel 6 since it ships with 12. Anyway, my permissions unexpectedly got reset a couple weeks ago, so I'm right back to being locked out of the app like you are. Please star the issue with Google so they might consider giving users an option to grant the necessary access anyway: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/196422354.

Other than that, the only fix would be if someone could modify the app to allow users to select any folder on their phone rather than just the root it currently requires.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for confirming it's an issue brought on with v12.

As is often the case, Google knows what is better for us, whether it is or isn't. And whether we like it or not.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

HerrMerkt

Thank you anyways.

I just want to confirm that what you are experiencing is in fact due to Android 12. I first reported this back in August when I was part of the beta: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.msg193643#msg193643.

The workaround I found was to set up the app in Android 11 before upgrading, but I know that's not an option on the Pixel 6 since it ships with 12. Anyway, my permissions unexpectedly got reset a couple weeks ago, so I'm right back to being locked out of the app like you are. Please star the issue with Google so they might consider giving users an option to grant the necessary access anyway: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/196422354.

Other than that, the only fix would be if someone could modify the app to allow users to select any folder on their phone rather than just the root it currently requires.

Thank you for this information. Looks like all I can do is wait.
Hopefully Google will change this or the WiFi sync app will be updated to allow to select any folder and not just the root folder.

railfan-eric28

Ok so i reset my phone a week after getting android 12 and now I'm having problems with Musicbee Wifi Sync.  Android won't let me select the music folder.   It won't let me select anything.   So now i have a phone with no music.    Sucks these Galaxy 21's don't have a SD card slot.   So now i lost all my music doing a full reset instead of having it nice and safe on the SD card.  Wonderful progress.   Is there going to be an update soon to fix this?   

Btw i forgot to report in July of 2020 i figured a workaround to the bug in the app where it has to be reset.  To keep the app from messing up i always click sync more to go back to the main screen.
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

Steven

• Administrator
Is there going to be an update soon to fix this?  
No there is no pending fix. Your best bet is to try another application like media monkey for example

railfan-eric28

Is there going to be an update soon to fix this?   
No there is no pending fix. Your best bet is to try another application like media monkey for example
Thanks for the reply.   Oh darn.  I really love Musicbee.   I really hope you can figure out a fix.   Have you not had any luck with it yet?  Google is really being a pain in the butt for everyone.  I read a year ago that the new android 12 will have even more strict permissions on top of what already changed on version 11. 
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

frankz

Your best bet is to add your voice to the linked thread on Google's issue tracker.  If they're going insist on locking the permissions, it is not something that can be figured out. 

railfan-eric28

Your best bet is to add your voice to the linked thread on Google's issue tracker.  If they're going insist on locking the permissions, it is not something that can be figured out. 
Thanks.  I did it.  I really hope our complaints make a difference.  I hate seeing android getting more and more like iOS as time goes on.