Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310754 times)

frankz

Something I noticed that started recently (I think when I got upgraded to Android 11).

When an album with a folder.jpg is completely removed from sync and therefore deleted from the device, the music files get deleted OK at the beginning of the sync process but at the end, when MB Wifi Sync goes to delete the folder, the sync hangs and needs to be stopped with the stop button.  This leaves a folder with just a folder.jpg on the device.  I'm pretty sure, also that playlists get synched after the folder deletion, so that doesn't happen when you stop the sync with the stop button. 

Maybe a check for album art or other files in folders that are set to be deleted so they can be deleted first would solve this? It seems Android (11 at least) is preventing non-empty folders from being deleted.

gvps1580

Hi,

Does anyone know how to unsync a playlist from updating onto an android? I made a few playlists and had already set up the wireless sync to my phone from my PC. I've since decided I don't want some playlists automatically syncing...how do I go about removing this sync function from my phone? I've checked both PC and phone app settings (musicbee and Poweramp). Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm a little confused. First you say you want to unsync the playlist. Then you say you want to remove the sync function from the phone.
Which is it?
If you want to remove the sync function from the phone, uninstall the app.
If you want to remove the playlist from being synced, uncheck the box next to the playlist in MB's device properties.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Kenda81

Hi,
I'm trying to use the MusicBee Wifi Sync (Beta) App on Android. My problem is that I can only select between internal or SD card storage. However, I need to specify a specific subfolder on the SD card which is not possible. The result is that the sync is assuming all folders and playlists are residing in the root of the SD card which is not the case, so a sync is of no use this way.

When using the app the first time, I thought I had seen the option to specify a subfolder, but currently there is no option for that. I cleared the app's data and cache which didn't help.

Thanks for looking into this or any hints.

Steven

• Administrator
in the device settings you can set a sub-folder in each of the music files, audiobook files, etc
eg. music files defaults to: Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>
but could be changed to: Music\folder\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>

Kenda81

Hi Steven,
thanks for the quick reply. That worked! The problem was, that the storage path already contained the mentioned subfolder G8231\SD card\Music, however it must be G8231\SD card\ whereas the folder Music has to be contained in music files (Music\<Playlist>\...). Nonetheless, problem solved.

Now that it's working, I encountered two more problems.
1. When syncing playcount and rating from GoneMAD music player, I get the message that the unlocked version of GoneMAD is needed to access these. I definitely have the unlocked version and can't find any hint in the GoneMAD log as mentioned in the message. Do you have any idea?

2. When syncing playlists changed in GoneMAD back to MusicBee I get the following errors. It seems to work, as the changed playlist appears in MusicBee, however something must be not right.
Code
createFile: Invalid filename: World Music.m3u
reveiveFile: java.io.InvalidObjectExeption: Invalid filename: World Music.m3u: file=World Music.m3u

phred

• Global Moderator
1. When syncing playcount and rating from GoneMAD music player, I get the message that the unlocked version of GoneMAD is needed to access these. I definitely have the unlocked version and can't find any hint in the GoneMAD log as mentioned in the message. Do you have any idea?
This sounds like something you should bring to GoneMad's developer.

2. When syncing playlists changed in GoneMAD back to MusicBee I get the following errors. It seems to work, as the changed playlist appears in MusicBee, however something must be not right.
Code
reveiveFile: java.io.InvalidObjectExeption: Invalid filename: World Music.m3u: file=World Music.m3u
Might there be an accent or other character in the file name that's not showing here when you copied over the error message?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Kenda81

If nothing helps, sure, however it's an option of the app, so I wanted to ask here first, maybe it's a general problem which looks more like it to me.

Code
Might there be an accent or other character in the file name that's not showing here when you copied over the error message?

I just typed the error message and didn't copy it. However I just double-checked that it's the exact text from the app's error log.

Thanks so far!

frankz

It apparently is: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.msg185756#msg185756

If nothing helps, sure, however it's an option of the app, so I wanted to ask here first, maybe it's a general problem which looks more like it to me.

If you search the thread for "unlocked," you'll see that the first suggestion is to manually trigger the backup to stats.xml from within GoneMAD.  This will create the file that android permissions are preventing MB from creating on its own.  However, it seems that on Android 11+ this won't matter because MB won't even be allowed to read the file in the location where GMMP wants to put it.

That's my interpretation anyway, coming to it as someone who uses PowerAmp and isn't interested in reverse sync so hasn't been following the matter too closely.

Searching for the issue in the thread might bring more info but that's what I remember.
Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 04:07:08 PM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
I just typed the error message and didn't copy it. However I just double-checked that it's the exact text from the app's error log.
In the future you'd be better off using copy/paste for error messages. It eliminates the possibility of creating a typo. Or using a O when it should be a 0. Which would then send someone on a wild goose chase.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Kenda81

It apparently is: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.msg185756#msg185756

If you search the thread for "unlocked," you'll see that the first suggestion is to manually trigger the backup to stats.xml from within GoneMAD.  This will create the file that android permissions are preventing MB from creating on its own.  However, it seems that on Android 11+ this won't matter because MB won't even be allowed to read the file in the location where GMMP wants to put it.

That's my interpretation anyway, coming to it as someone who uses PowerAmp and isn't interested in reverse sync so hasn't been following the matter too closely.

Searching for the issue in the thread might bring more info but that's what I remember.

Thanks, I should have searched myself in the first place. :-X The post https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.msg188582#msg188582 shows exactly my problem. Seems there is nothing more I can do at the moment than just to wait if the MusicBee app get's a fix or workaround for reading the stats.xml from GoneMAD.

If it's not possible due to Android permissions, a workaround could be to load the file from another folder when copied there.

bkev

Yes, I'm gutted about this. I love the fact I can listen to songs on my phone and then sync the ratings and play counts back to my computer.

I've recently got an Android 11 phone and I get an error about "sendStats: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/emulated/0/gmmp/stats.xml: open failed: EEXIST (File exists)"

Or  "sendStats: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/emulated/0/gmmp/stats.xml: open failed: EEXIST (Permission denied)" if I manually do a backup of the stats from GoneMad player.

I've tried deleting the file, manually creating a backup but it just doesn't seem to work.

I'd really like to sync my ratings and play counts back to MusicBee from my phone.

Is there any workaround for this?

bkev

I've checked on Google Play and the sync tool hasn't been updated for over a year - I'm not sure if it's still supported or not?

Other than the options that have already been discussed (file picker - manually move the stats.xml on the phone to a different folder and select it from there), another option is to manually copy the stats.xml to the computer where MusicBee is.

But, I don't know what the sync tool does to actually import or update the stats from the file into MusicBee.

I'd be happy ,as a work around, to copy the stats.xml to my computer but what do I need to do in MusicBee to import or update the information in the MusicBee database from the stats.xml file (play count/ratings)?

phred

• Global Moderator
The WiFi Sync app does playcount and ratings syncing to MB on the PC only when using GoneMad Media Player or PowerAmp. If you're using a different Android player, you'll need to figure out you're own work-around.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

bkev

I'm using Gone Mad player but the WiFi sync app no longer works as it doesn't have access to the stats.xml file on my phone due to restrictions in Android 11.

I was wondering until (if?) the app is fixed if I can manually do something with the stats.xml to import the ratings and play counts into MusicBee.