Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310596 times)

Steven

• Administrator
v0.7.4
https://play.google.com/apps/internaltest/4700978781087552506

the settings window for the previous version might not have loaded

@phred,
an error log will always be created when you debug logging enabled.
The sync cancelled issue is the same as psychoadept and should be fixed

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yep, appears to be working! It wanted to resync everything, but it also showed different file sizes (some larger, some smaller), so I'm letting it, out of curiosity. Maybe related to the fact that I reset the media library (which did in fact get rid of that ghost playlist).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I canceled the sync because the reason it wanted to resync everything was that rather than putting things in MusicBee\Music, it was putting them in MusicBee\Music\Music\Music. This goes back to the issue I was having with getting things in the desired folder structure. I thought that was resolved but I guess not.

Here are my current device settings: https://i.imgur.com/IZ0FFR7.png

I had to change this once already, because I originally had Music going to MusicBee\*, which was creating a MusicBee\Music folder, but then it stopped doing that on its own and was syncing the library just to MusicBee. This way makes more sense to me anyway, because why would you specify an extra folder level for audiobooks and podcasts vs music.

Also, the Music\Music\Music folder structure makes sense with preserve files and folder names only if it's taking the folder structure from the base user folder. On my drive, everything is in <User>\Music\<Library Node>, so the main library is in fact Music\Music\<Files>. If you tack that on the end of the MusicBee\Music folder in device settings, then you would indeed get three levels of Music folders.

If making this work with Preserve Folders and Filenames is getting too involved, I can switch to a manual directory structure.
Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:24:19 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
an error log will always be created when you debug logging enabled.
The sync cancelled issue is the same as psychoadept and should be fixed
Sorry Steven. I thought you had said the error log would only be created if an error occurred and would overwrite any existing log. Perhaps I misread. In any event I'm downloading the new update and will be able to test and report back in a little while.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
A sync with 0.7.4 worked as expected. Thanks Steven for tracking down this pesky one.

Also thanks for fixing the visual glitch on the settings screen. However, there's now something similar on the 'preview/sync now' screen. I don't know if this is new, or I didn't notice it on the previous version, but the player choice is (mostly) covered up.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This goes back to the issue I was having with getting things in the desired folder structure. I thought that was resolved but I guess not.

After thinking about this for a while, I suspect it's related to my quirky auto-organize settings, which were giving us such trouble in the other context. I'm more attached to those than I am to "preserve folders and filenames" so I've gone to a manual template for now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SkyZippr

Are there anything other than musicbee.exe that I need to unblock in firewall in order to get wifi sync to work?
I'm still struggling with it and haven't been able to perform any wifi sync for the past 5 days or so.

phred

• Global Moderator
Are there anything other than musicbee.exe that I need to unblock in firewall in order to get wifi sync to work?
No there isin't. And I'm not even sure you -need- to unblock it. I certainly didn't.

Quote from: SkyZippr
I'm still struggling with it and haven't been able to perform any wifi sync for the past 5 days or so.
Are you certain you're using the latest version of MB -and- the app? The app is now at 0.7.4 and MB is at 3.3.7061 or above.

And did you see this?
For someone who is still at initial the "Locate Server" window, the logging is automatically enabled if the first attempt fails
You should have something logged if you're using the latest app version.
Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:58:34 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
If making this work with Preserve Folders and Filenames is getting too involved, I can switch to a manual directory structure.
It works fine for me using your sync settings. I believe you have auto-organise enabled for your library. The way it works is the auto-organise root path is used to get the relative path for each music file eg.
auto-organise template=C:\MusicBee\Music\<artist>\<album>\<disc-track#> - <title>
file=C:\MusicBee\Music\Dessa\A Badly Broken Code\02 - Poor Atlas.mp3
relative path=Dessa\A Badly Broken Code\02 - Poor Atlas.mp3
dest folder on device=MusicBee\Music\*.*
final destination path=MusicBee\Music\Dessa\A Badly Broken Code\02 - Poor Atlas.mp3

what could screw things up is if you have files in your library that dont comform to your naming template and not actually under C:\MusicBee\Music\ eg.
file=C:\MusicBee\Some file.mp3
I think if this was the case MB would be using C:\MusicBee as the base for relative paths of all the synched files
final destination path=MusicBee\Music\Music\Dessa\A Badly Broken Code\02 - Poor Atlas.mp3

do you think that could be the case?

also one other possibility i could investigate, are you including files from playlists or a specific computer folder where the file is not in the library?

edit:
I tried both those possibilities and in both cases the sync behaved as expected so I am at a loss why its adding the extra Music into the path.
I can give you a debug version to see whats going on

edit 2:
perhaps you have some exceptions in your library naming template and define the root of your music library using:
C:\MusicBee\<some expression that evaluates to Music sometimes and other times something else> ?
Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:58:09 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
Also thanks for fixing the visual glitch on the settings screen. However, there's now something similar on the 'preview/sync now' screen. I don't know if this is new, or I didn't notice it on the previous version, but the player choice is (mostly) covered up.
I have added scrolling for that panel for small screens. I will make it available later today

phred

• Global Moderator
I have added scrolling for that panel for small screens. I will make it available later today
Thanks

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

SkyZippr

Are you certain you're using the latest version of MB -and- the app? The app is now at 0.7.4 and MB is at 3.3.7061 or above.
I am using Wifi sync app 0.7.4 and MB 3.3.7061.

And did you see this?
For someone who is still at initial the "Locate Server" window, the logging is automatically enabled if the first attempt fails
You should have something logged if you're using the latest app version.
I'm not stuck at the initial 'Locate Server' window. Actually, somehow I got past that for just once, but after one successful wifi sync, it started showing 'Server not found' again.
The error log only shows an event from May 2nd, generated by 0.6.1. No new error log seems to have been recorded since that.
(Sorry, that 'for the past 5 days or so' was an incorrect statement)

The only reason I can think of is that both my PC is on wired LAN and my phone is on wifi, and both are dynamic private IP.
The IP's are like 10.165.A.XXX, A being either 1 or 2. I'm not sure the exact interval of IP changing, but I guess it's 12-24 hrs.
Sometimes PC would be 10.165.1.XXX while phone being 10.165.2.XXX, and sometimes both of them would be 10.165.1.XXX.
However, whether or not they share the same 'A' doesn't seem to have correlation with 'Server not found' error.
Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:40:22 PM by SkyZippr

Babydoll32

I got one question. Does MB check for existing files on Android or will it copy everything again with a new sync? The reason why I ask is, that it seems to me, that it copy files again, with every new sync, insteed skipping already existing files. And that waste a lot of time, with a lot of songs. Maybe my settings are wrong?!

Steven

• Administrator
I'm not stuck at the initial 'Locate Server' window. Actually, somehow I got past that for just once, but after one successful wifi sync, it started showing 'Server not found' again.
The error log only shows an event from May 2nd, generated by 0.6.1. No new error log seems to have been recorded since that.
(Sorry, that 'for the past 5 days or so' was an incorrect statement)

The only reason I can think of is that both my PC is on wired LAN and my phone is on wifi, and both are dynamic private IP.
The IP's are like 10.165.A.XXX, A being either 1 or 2. I'm not sure the exact interval of IP changing, but I guess it's 12-24 hrs.
Sometimes PC would be 10.165.1.XXX while phone being 10.165.2.XXX, and sometimes both of them would be 10.165.1.XXX.
However, whether or not they share the same 'A' doesn't seem to have correlation with 'Server not found' error.
You need to tick "enable debug logging" in the Settings panel
The current implementation will only search for the server on the same 10.165.A
I wouldnt know how to make an efficent way to search every combination of possible values so unless you can ensure they are both on the same subnet, its not going to work well.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I got one question. Does MB check for existing files on Android or will it copy everything again with a new sync? The reason why I ask is, that it seems to me, that it copy files again, with every new sync, insteed skipping already existing files. And that waste a lot of time, with a lot of songs. Maybe my settings are wrong?!

MusicBee will resync files if their location according to the template in your device settings has changed, or if the file has been modified since the last sync. If the file is where it expects it to be and has not changed, it won't sync it again. [Update: fixing typos, yikes!]

I had one file with an exceptionally long name that kept resyncing, so if your filenames are very long you might also look at ways to shorten them and see if that helps.
Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:50:52 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)