Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310530 times)

MCDoubleDefDP

I approached the GoneMad developer about access to ratings/ playcounts and playlists back to MusicBee ie. 2-way sync. Based on his feedback, it looks like there is a way for all three so i will look at implementing that.
However, for the ratings and playcounts, the mechanism is to trigger the backup functionality which generates an xml file dump of the library (I assume like the MB iTunes xml export function). I am not familiar with gonemad but so does having the backup function automatically invoked cause any concerns - does the backup function do more than just dump an xml file of the library?

Nope, no concerns at all. All the "Backup Stats" option does is drop a stats.xml file in the "gmmp" folder. It works the exact same way as your iTunes XML backup.

This is very exciting that you're looking into this!

railfan-eric28

I have a question.   If I sync with both the cord and wifi sync does it copy the music separately so I would have to choose one or the other?  Or can I do both and keep the music synced together and delete files that aren't in the playlists anymore?
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

Doc Bean

Instructions:
- In the MusicBee Device preferences panel, tick the "enable Wifi transfer with Android devices"
- make sure you allow MusicBee when windows firewall prompts
- on your Android device, run the Wifi sync app
- select whether you want to sync to your Internal memory or to an external SD Card (if available)
- then click "Locate Server"
- MusicBee must be running for this to work and windows firewall permission granted
- you only need to do this once
- only connections from your private network are supported
- the app error log can be viewed from the action bar/ Error Log menu item

I'm running Win 10 with Norton Security installed, which disabled the Windows Firewall. When I tick the "enable Wifi transfer with Android devices", there is no firewall prompt. I've configured the Norton Firewall to allow MB.

When I click Locate Server, I get Server not found. MB is running. My computer is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, and my Galaxy S10+ (Android Pie) is connected via Wi-Fi.

Steven

• Administrator
please take this up on a Norton forum re: enabling applications through their firewall

Doc Bean

Ok, I'm not sure what I did but it finds the server. However, the following appears:

The MusicBee server was located but no existing device configuration exists in MusicBee.

Run a wired sync from MusicBee first and then try Wifi Sync again

Steven

• Administrator
did you follow those instructions? and what was the result?

Doc Bean

I didn't realize that one had to do that, so yes, it seems to be working now that I have done that. Thanks.

railfan-eric28

I have a question.   If I sync with both the cord and wifi sync does it copy the music separately so I would have to choose one or the other?  Or can I do both and keep the music synced together and delete files that aren't in the playlists anymore?
anyone?
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

MCDoubleDefDP

anyone?

Based on my experience, as long as you use the "as configured in MusicBee" setting in the WiFi app, it doesn't matter how you choose to sync because everything will be synced together.

railfan-eric28

anyone?

Based on my experience, as long as you use the "as configured in MusicBee" setting in the WiFi app, it doesn't matter how you choose to sync because everything will be synced together.

So if i want to add more playlists using the app with will sync stuff double rather then using the same music that's already on there?

Steven

• Administrator
So if i want to add more playlists using the app with will sync stuff double rather then using the same music that's already on there?
I have no idea what you are asking. What dont you try it and see

railfan-eric28

If i add more playlists with the wifi will it add it and other songs that are already on my phone twice?  And if i use the delete function will it delete all the playlists that aren't selected through the app?  I'm also trying to figure out why I have duplicate playlists in poweramp and on my phone.  I have playlists in the Music Folder and Playlists in the Playlist folder.   I just want to make sure whatever I sync over the WIFI isn't duplicating what I already have via the wired sync.

frankz

If i add more playlists with the wifi will it add it and other songs that are already on my phone twice?  And if i use the delete function will it delete all the playlists that aren't selected through the app?  I'm also trying to figure out why I have duplicate playlists in poweramp and on my phone.  I have playlists in the Music Folder and Playlists in the Playlist folder.   I just want to make sure whatever I sync over the WIFI isn't duplicating what I already have via the wired sync.
Like he said, try it and see if it duplicates or not.  You can always go in the file manager and delete anything or everything, or hook up to a computer and do the same in file explorer, if it doesn't work out the way you want.

There's a certain amount of taking the initiative to undergo trial and error involved when you agree to beta test things.

Coonce

Hi all,

I've been testing out the wi-fi sync on my LG V20 (running android 8 ), but I'm getting stuck at the app not thinking a wired sync hasn't been run at all.

Running musicbee 3.3.7016 and wi-fi sync app version 0.4.3

I have enable wifi transfer and allowed it in my firewall, and my V20 is listed under preferences -> devices. I am syncing to the SD card on my phone, rather than the internal storage.

I was looking for "MusicBeeWifiSyncErrorLog.txt" on my phone, but I'm not seeing it anywhere, tried using both the built in "file manager" app (which isn't great) and google's file explorer app.

Is it possible it's just not writing any file when doing a wired sync? Are there any other logs I can check to help troubleshoot?

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure no error log is written to the device when performing a wired sync. Try looking in MB's error log: Help > Support > View Error Log.

As for the error log when doing a WiFi sync, tap the three dots in the upper right corner > error log. No error log is created unless there are errors. The file would be saved in the Download directory on the device.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here