Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 317111 times)

frankz

Great news, Steven. I look forward to trying out the WiFi Sync from MB to my two Android devices, both of which are running GMMP.
I feel like I need to thank you for pointing me in the direction of GMMP.  I'm new to using my Android phone for music (my old car only had an iPod interface) and was kind of lost in the sea of players. They all had benefits and they all had drawbacks and I felt like I needed to settle for the "least bad" until I installed GMMP.  It ticks all of the boxes for me (Android Auto, Chromecast, ReplayGain, Responsive Support) and is easy to customize in a way that makes it just about perfect for me.  So, thank you.

As far as Wifi Sync, I'm a wired type guy, but hearing it's faster has gotten me interested!

phred

• Global Moderator
Great news, Steven. I look forward to trying out the WiFi Sync from MB to my two Android devices, both of which are running GMMP.
I feel like I need to thank you for pointing me in the direction of GMMP.  I'm new to using my Android phone for music (my old car only had an iPod interface) and was kind of lost in the sea of players. They all had benefits and they all had drawbacks and I felt like I needed to settle for the "least bad" until I installed GMMP.  It ticks all of the boxes for me (Android Auto, Chromecast, ReplayGain, Responsive Support) and is easy to customize in a way that makes it just about perfect for me.  So, thank you.
You're welcome, but if you want to trace it back, it was psychoadept who pointed me to it after being dissatisfied with whatever I was using before - PowerAMP. I will add that GMMP seems to have a more active development path than most (all?) of the others. Not to mention that Customer Support is really great. I got a new FiiO DAP that has it's own OS and music player, but it also has the ability to launch it with Android OS. Which allowed me to use GMMP on it. Since discovering that piece, I've never booted into the default OS.

As far as Wifi Sync, I'm a wired type guy, but hearing it's faster has gotten me interested!
I too, am quite content to plug in a USB cable and sync. And I don't feel that it's slow. But the ability to not be tethered while syncing is great.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

klint

Great news, thanks Steven!

By the way, when you mention 2 ways, do you mean playcounts/ratings/etc sync'ed back from the phone to MB? That would be awesome indeed, particularly for podcasts (once listened on the phone, can be removed from MB, manually from a smart playlist based on playcounts). I haven't tried GMMP, but I'm using Rocket Player for its excellent audiobook & podcasts support.

Cheers

Babydoll32

Hi, Steven.
Great news!!! GMMP and Rocket Player are good ones. My favourite is Rocket Player. Hope you're successful!

Steven

• Administrator
Any keen testers?

An alpha version is available on:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync

You need to PM me your email address you use for google play store so I can add you to the tester list

You also need the latest v3.3 patch version
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

Its pretty straight forward
Run MB and enable Wifi Sync in the Device preferences

From your phone, run the Sync app. The first step is to let the sync app detect the MusicBee server. Hopefully that works easily and only needs to be done this once.
For older android versions (< Nougat) where you have an external sd card, you will also be required to select "Internal Storage" or "SD Card". For more recent Android versions, the sync app detects the storage from your device sync settings in MB.

After that just click "Sync Now" and thats it!

If you tick the "preview changes" checkbox you can see the changes that will happen and click "Proceed" for the copy/ deletes to be done.

I have set it so MB will only accept connections from your private network - you need to be connected to a Wifi hotspot thats common to your computer and phone.
Android versions older than Kit-kat are not supported

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm certainly willing to give it a run around the block. PM sent with play store email address.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
i'll delay this to the weekend as i realise there are a couple more things i want to test

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I'm certainly willing to give it a run around the block. PM sent with play store email address.

I'm in too - I have a spare Samsung J5 running Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) with 32Gb MicroSD.
Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:42:02 AM by Freddy Barker

Steven

• Administrator
the people who PM'ed me have now been added as testers

join the testing program via:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync

and its installable from:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync

I suggest you start with "preview changes" ticked so you can see what it would do
If you have trouble connecting, a log file is created (for now) in the Download folder as: MusicBeeWifiSyncErrorLog.txt

klint

Hi Steven
The app cannot locate the server but the log file is empty. The Windows firewall seems to be ok ("private" is on and I'm on a private network). The wifi setting is checked app is MB. Is there anything else I should check?
Thanks

zkhcohen

Apparently it doesn't match my previous configuration:

https://i.imgur.com/bZ30KBH.jpg

LOG:

Feb 14, 2019 2:51:29 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo
INFO: FindCandidate: Probing 10.3.15.
Feb 14, 2019 2:51:34 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo
INFO: FindCandidate: 10.3.15.1
INFO: FindCandidate: 10.3.15.27
INFO: FindCandidate: 10.3.15.17
INFO: FindCandidate: 10.3.15.15
INFO: FindCandidate: 10.3.15.107
INFO: Ping: 10.3.15.1
Feb 14, 2019 2:51:36 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogError
SEVERE: Ping: failed to connect to /10.3.15.1 (port 27304) from /10.3.15.16 (port 32778) after 2500ms
Feb 14, 2019 2:51:36 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo
INFO: Ping: 10.3.15.27
Feb 14, 2019 2:51:36 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo
INFO: Ping: MusicBeeWifiSyncServer/1.0
Feb 14, 2019 2:51:40 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo
INFO: Start: MB unable to match volume names (2)
INFO: Start: Phone memory
INFO: Start: SD card
Feb 14, 2019 2:52:00 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo
Feb 14, 2019 2:52:34 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogInfo

zkhcohen

Hi Steven
The app cannot locate the server but the log file is empty. The Windows firewall seems to be ok ("private" is on and I'm on a private network). The wifi setting is checked app is MB. Is there anything else I should check?
Thanks

Other firewalls on the network, potentially?

Use TCPView to see which port MusicBee is listening on.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm also getting the 'can't match the device to an existing configuration' error. I disabled my firewall with no change in behavior.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

railfan-eric28

the wifi app says "server not found.  Ensure Musicbee is running.... etc etc"   I opened and closed and reopened Musicbee but still no good.  I checked the setting under the device settings for WIFI on the program.
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

MCDoubleDefDP

I think several of us use GMMP
Do you know if it provides a way for an external application to retrieve ratings/ playcounts/ tags?
I'll try contacting the dev on http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com

I stumbled upon this thread today and didn't see that your question was answered, so I asked the dev on Discord and he said "Gmmp exports everything to file that can be imported and exported. He can hijack that. Syncing would be nice but i have wayyyyyy too much on my plate already
Its xml format i believe"

EDIT: He added "i mean he can email me [gonemadsoftware(at)gmail(dot)com] and i can help in the sense of give advice.. just not code anything. i do believe there are intents to trigger a backup and restore too.. i think"

I see that in the stable 2.x version of GoneMAD Music Player, you go to Settings > General > Backup > Backup Stats (play counts and ratings).

I currently use Syncthing to 2-way sync my Android music folder with my Windows music folder to work with MusicBee, and GoneMAD writes all standard tags directly to the file, so MusicBee picks up any metadata or ratings changes I make on my phone. Since play counts are handled by the individual databases of your apps, those obviously don't sync, however.

I hope this was helpful.
Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:28:24 AM by MCDoubleDefDP