Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 310657 times)

thed0g195

Is it normal that the App keeps syncing same files over and over, despite they've just been synced already? Are there any file changes being done when you play music in musicbee and it registers that as a file change so it wants to sync it?

Or I'll ask like this: how does Musicbee Wifi Sync know which file was synced or not, or if there are changes?

There are files in your MB AppData folder for each device.  One of these is a MBL file - MusicBee Library.  This keeps track of what's been put on the device and when the version on the device was updated.

Each time you change a file in any way - change a tag, add or edit artwork, add or edit lyrics,etc (even automatically if your settings do this)  - it updates the "Date Modified" date of the file in Windows.  MB compares the "Date Modified" of the file on your computer to the date of the version on the device.  If the "Date Modified" on your computer is more recent than the version on the device, the file will be resynched.

Thank you, I've thought about that being the case, but the thing is I don't edit ID3 tags of those files, nor even play them. The "modified date" hasn't been changed for over a year. And yet they're always resynced. I've also tried unsyncing (deleting) all playlists from the phone (samsung a50) and then trying to sync playlists one by one. It doesn't happen with all playlists, just specific ones, but have no idea why.

frankz

The only other thing I can think of is a change that would alter the file names for those files on the device then.  

For this to be the case only with certain playlists, you'd have to have "create a sub-folder for each playlist and its tracks" selected under the device's playlist storage settings on the settings tab of the device page.  When a playlist changes, the file names on the device will be different because they are in numbered order (to avoid duplicate file names when there are intentional duplicates in the list).  This will be the case for shuffled playlists always because the order of the tracks is different each time.

The only way to avoid this would be to not set that or to not change the playlist between synchs (using the shuffle scenario, you'd have to shuffle play on the device rather than send the device a pre-shuffled playlist).

Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:02:20 PM by frankz

bkev

I dont have time to look at it for quite a while, but the source code is here:
https://github.com/mayallst/MusicBeeWifiSync
if anyone with java development skills can add support for reading the stats.xml file from an additional configurable location

It looks like someone has tried to add the code to at least be able to access the original file location for gmmp:. https://github.com/mayallst/MusicBeeWifiSync/pull/7

Hiphopopotamus

Hi all. How do I get reverse sync working when using the GoneMad app on my phone? When I remove a song from a playlist in my GoneMad app and reverse sync it (checking the 'playlists' box under 'Reverse Sync to computer') to my MusicBee app on my laptop - the song is not removed.. Then, if I sync my music from my laptop to my phone - the song I removed from GoneMad reappears on my GoneMad app..

Any idea how to fix this? Ideally, the song I remove from my phone playlist is also removed from my laptop playlist.

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
What version of the WiFi Sync app are you using?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Hiphopopotamus

Hi Phred :)

What version of MB are you using? 3.4.7805 Store
How was MB installed? It says 'store' next to the version number, so I guess it's that?
What version of the WiFi Sync app are you using? 2.0.0

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... you might try updating the WiFi Sync to the latest - 2.1 although I'm not sure what changed since 2.0.
Also you might try the Portable installation and ditch the Store version. The Portable gets updated quite frequently via patches and is much easier to move should you get a new PC. Backups are very easy as you just copy the entire MB directory to a backup destination. Be sure to place the Portable in a non-Windows controlled directory. Use something like C:\MusicBee.

No guarantee that either of my suggested changes will fix your issue, but the first step in troubleshooting is to always make sure you're on the latest versions.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

In Android 11+ (is there a plus, I don't know), the MB app cannot get the necessary permissions to read the stats.xml file from GoneMad that it would need to reverse sync.  Therefore, this will not work.

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.msg189673#msg189673

phred

• Global Moderator
In Android 11+ (is there a plus, I don't know)
Ahhh - that's correct. I had forgotten about the OS 11 issue. And not, there's no plus.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Hiphopopotamus

Cheers frankz. I only have the Android OS S9 -   does that have the same problem?

phred

• Global Moderator
Cheers frankz. I only have the Android OS S9 -   does that have the same problem?
OS 9 presents no issues. That's what I'm using.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Kanobis

I just tried the sync app for the first time (into GoneMad). Brand new device (FiiiO M11) and brand new downloads of MB, GoneMad, and the Sync App. Did a test run of 2GB before I put my (massive) music collection on my device. The 2GB took nearly 30 minutes to transfer. That seems very slow to me, but not having done this before, I don't know. Is that a normal speed for wifi? I tried a wired sync first, and while it was much, much faster, half of my metadata didn't copy over within the files (or at least it didn't show up in GoneMad) and my music library in GoneMad was a mess as a result, so I deleted everything and did a new sync with the wifi app. I read somewhere that wifi sync is more reliable in that regard and indeed it was and my GoneMad library is nice and clean now. But at this speed, it's going to take me a year to transfer a couple terabytes.

phred

• Global Moderator
Just about every report I've read states that WiFi sync is substantially faster than a USB sync. I too find it to be much faster.

If I recall correctly, my last 'full' sync of about 140gb took about six hours.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Hiphopopotamus

Hi Phred. Looks like reverse sync could work on my current phone then (using the portable version) as I have OS 9, but not on the phone I'll be getting next week as it'll be the Galaxy S10 and from what I can see it'll have OS 11  :'(

phred

• Global Moderator
Hi Phred. Looks like reverse sync could work on my current phone then (using the portable version) as I have OS 9, but not on the phone I'll be getting next week as it'll be the Galaxy S10 and from what I can see it'll have OS 11  :'(
You have my sympathy. I'm heading in the same direction. My Galaxy isn't holding its charge as well as it used to. I will keep it going as long as I possibly can as I don't want to use OS11 and be forced back to a USB sync.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki