Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 335478 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I have posted an updated Android version but i think it takes a few hours to roll out and not sure if you get notified when its ready.
It now prompts you to select the storage (Internal or SD Card) as the automatic matching to the musicbee sync settings storage selection is clearly not working for most devices.
I think thats most of the issues reported. I haven't looked yet as why in some cases no connection is made at all but will do so.

phred

• Global Moderator
I have posted an updated Android version but i think it takes a few hours to roll out and not sure if you get notified when its ready.
It now prompts you to select the storage (Internal or SD Card) as the automatic matching to the musicbee sync settings storage selection is clearly not working for most devices.
I think thats most of the issues reported. I haven't looked yet as why in some cases no connection is made at all but will do so.
Thanks. I'll check for the update in a couple of hours.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

zkhcohen

Updated. Now it connects and very quickly determines what needs to be synced.

Here's the new issue:

Feb 15, 2019 12:39:52 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogError
SEVERE: ReceiveFile: /storage/0CB5-7600/Music/Balam Acab/Wander   Wonder/06 - Oh, Why.mp3.part (Permission denied)
Feb 15, 2019 12:40:13 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogError
SEVERE: Looper: Read timed out

Are these Android or Windows perms. which are being denied?

Steven

• Administrator
its the Android permissions and I expect its because your card is in read-only mode - the sync app currently doesnt check that status and display an error for that.

zkhcohen

its the Android permissions and I expect its because your card is in read-only mode - the sync app currently doesnt check that status and display an error for that.

Is there any way to release the read-only mode? I can readily write to the card from the "Files" app on my phone, and regularly sync to MusicBee directly to the card over a cable connection.

Also, fully recognizing that this is in alpha, but what are the security implications of exposing the wifi-sync port on MusicBee? What web-server API is used? Future support for encryption or at least a sync-key so that users who have multiple MusicBee wifi-sync enabled sessions on the network won't get confused?

Edit: I'm also on a Samsung S8+ if it matters!
Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:13:26 PM by zkhcohen

phred

• Global Moderator
Tested the new build on the Samsung S8 and it worked perfectly on one test. Will be testing more later today. I haven't tested the new build on the FiiO X5 at this point, but I don't think the 'connection refused' issued has been addressed yet.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

zkhcohen

Tested the new build on the Samsung S8 and it worked perfectly on one test. Will be testing more later today. I haven't tested the new build on the FiiO X5 at this point, but I don't think the 'connection refused' issued has been addressed yet.

Was this to your SD card or the internal device storage?

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... it always wants to sync the (m3u) playlists even when there have been no changes. I synced and then immediately synced again and the preview shows the same playlists that were just synced.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator

To the internal storage. I don't run a SD card on the S8. I do on the FiiO X5, but haven't gotten to that yet to test the new build.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
Hmmm ... it always wants to sync the (m3u) playlists even when there have been no changes. I synced and then immediately synced again and the preview shows the same playlists that were just synced.
except for a brief period, its always been the case the playlists are always copied. I dont think i will change that

zkhcohen

To the internal storage. I don't run a SD card on the S8. I do on the FiiO X5, but haven't gotten to that yet to test the new build.

Cool. When I get a chance in the next hour or two I'll create a separate device profile for my internal storage and try syncing there.

phred

• Global Moderator
except for a brief period, its always been the case the playlists are always copied. I dont think i will change that
Okay, that makes sense. And yes, I do remember on a wired sync it does the same thing.

For the future: show the total number of tracks to be synced. I can't remember if MB does that on a wired sync, but on a desktop it's fairly easy to get a sense of how many tracks will be transferred. It's more difficult to sense on a small screen.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
Here's the new issue:

SEVERE: ReceiveFile: /storage/0CB5-7600/Music/Balam Acab/Wander   Wonder/06 - Oh, Why.mp3.part (Permission denied)
My external sd card works fine but after googling this issue, it appears the permissions denied can be an issue for some sd cards. There are a couple of suggested solutions so i will do that tomorrow but i wont be able to test it to confirm it works

zkhcohen

Here's the new issue:

My external sd card works fine but after googling this issue, it appears the permissions denied can be an issue for some sd cards. There are a couple of suggested solutions so i will do that tomorrow but i wont be able to test it to confirm it works

Here's my model of SD card:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B01HU3Q6S4

I'll test any changes you make!

zkhcohen

With the new changes it doesn't seem to matter if I select SD Card or Internal Storage... it will try to sync either. At the moment, as you know, it only syncs to my Internal Storage properly. I'm guessing if I tried to run SD card sync after syncing some files to internal storage, it would be confused about what to sync.

I also experienced a weird timeout after switching sync locations twice:

Feb 15, 2019 2:50:43 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogError

Now the app is crashing as soon as I hit "sync" after opening it. I sent the crash reports -- not sure if you or Google Play devs see those.

Edit: Restarting my phone didn't fix it. Unchecking Preview Changes allowed me to click "Sync Now" once (and it appeared to start syncing to internal storage), but once I cancelled it, I can't restart it:

Feb 15, 2019 2:58:39 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogError
SEVERE: Looper: malformed input around byte 2
Feb 15, 2019 2:58:52 PM com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync.ErrorHandler LogError

Edit 2: On the next restart, the sync options disappeared, but I was able to start the sync successfully. After stopping and restarting the sync, I experience the same issue - it times out. Preview Changes is a guaranteed app crash now. Something has permanently changed. I'll hold off on reinstalling the app in case you want me to export something for diagnostic purposes.

Edit 3: Another note - enabling Wifi Sync in MusicBee seems to require a restart of the app AND desktop program in order for the phone to detect it. This might be related to other people's issues. Disabling wifi sync causes MusicBee to immediately stop listening on port 27304. If this is by-design, there should probably be a prompt to tell you to restart after making this change.

Edit 4: Found errors in MusicBee Desktop logs. Sent via PM.
Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:37:05 PM by zkhcohen