Author Topic: 3.2/3.3 MP4 not detected as video file, attempts to save tags to file and fails  (Read 1078 times)

Drakonas

I have tried this in the latest stable (3.2.6902) and latest beta (3.3.6962). The issue happens in both versions
I am on Windows 10 1809.

I am trying to add a "hidden" tag to all video files in my library (some of my music has trailer videos in the music folders), so that I can filter them from being seen in folder views (really wish MusicBee's "include videos" option would apply to folder view as well).

Anyway, MusicBee detects AVI videos properly, showing the "Video file tags are only saved to the MusicBee database" message when editing tags, as it should be. Video files don't support tags.

But MP4's don't show this message, and upon attempting to save the tag, this message is shown:

"Validation failed after attempting to save the file - the changes have not been saved."

MusicBee is attempting to save the tags into the MP4 file. I'm not sure why this hasn't been fixed. I found an old post in these forums 2 years ago for this issue, but it was overlooked because the guy made it sound like he was doing something wrong. I wanted to clarify that this is MusicBee's fault.

Please fix this in the beta soon. I am very frustrated by this issue, which should be easily fixable by the dev team.

EDIT: Here's a MediaInfo log of the video file in question: https://pastebin.com/Z3SK1W4g
Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:56:16 PM by Drakonas

phred

• Global Moderator
Please fix this in the beta soon. I am very frustrated by this issue, which should be easily fixable by the dev team.
Point(s) of information:
- The "dev" team is one person, who works on MB in his spare time. He does not get paid for his time or work other than donations made by happy users.
- Unless you're a developer yourself, it's never a good idea to tell a developer that something is "easily fixable."
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
MP4 can be audio or video. MB doesnt have the capability to determine that and uses the following rule:
if the file is added to the Video library its treated as a video file
and if its added anywhere else, as an audio file

Drakonas

Point(s) of information:
- The "dev" team is one person, who works on MB in his spare time. He does not get paid for his time or work other than donations made by happy users.
- Unless you're a developer yourself, it's never a good idea to tell a developer that something is "easily fixable."
I am a developer myself, so I figured this would be a simple flag flip for adding .mp4 to the whitelist for video files. I have never heard of people using mp4 as audio files in my days of collecting and ripping music. m4a, maybe. Perhaps I am wrong. I just find it annoying that when using folder view there is no way to filter out or remove files from the list.

The feature to be able to add specific containers/extensions to a blacklist or something would be nice or to make the unchecked "include video files" apply to all views including folder view, but I understand that is a bit more of a time-consuming task to add that.
Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:43:46 AM by Drakonas