Author Topic: Reset artwork cache - what happens specifically?  (Read 3822 times)

Tybot

I'm using the thumbnail browser and when filtering by "Genre Category" a lot items in that list uses the default "No Artwork" image, something that hasn't been the case previously. I thought I could solve this by resetting the artwork cache but I'm hesitant as I don't know exactly what's going to happen.

All my artist thumbs, bios and so on are backed up, so that's not the issue. I'm concerned about the artwork as almost every one has been added manually. They are embedded in every file and there's also a "Cover.jpg" in every album folder. Will these be overwritten by something retrieved from the web by MB? I assume that's not the case but I'd rather ask first.

sveakul

What that command does is delete the folder here:  ..\MusicBee\AppData\InternalCache\AlbumCovers.  Your embedded art and separate cover.jpg files are not touched.  Covers are cached there to speed up later display, but will be re-created as used later.

I think your issue may be with your settings in Preferences/Tags(1)/Artwork Storage.  Check the "set which pictures are displayed" box to be sure it reflects your intent.  Hitting the "edit list" button will allow you to make changes, including to where it looks for non-embedded artwork.  Afterwards be sure to hit the "Rescan Artwork" button (NOT the same as "reset artwork cache").

Also check in Tags(2) that if you do not want MB to auto-download artwork, that choice is not selected in auto-tagging/artwork.

Tybot

Thanks for the info. I went through with it and nothing bad happened. However, the issue still remains.

The thing is, I haven't changed any settings that would cause this problem to occur. In the "set which pictures are displayed", I previously had only "Embedded". I now added "Cover.*" as well and rescanned the artwork but some genre categories still shows the "no album art" picture in the thumbnail browser. I've tried browsing by a couple of other tags, custom tags and virtual tags and it would seem that genre category is the only one affected by this.

I've tried to restart MB, use a different tab, all with the same result as above.

That's already done. No auto-retrieval of artwork.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that this problem only occurs if no filter is selected. If I choose the filter "Soundtrack", the thumbnail browser displays a thumbnail for the genre category "Comedy/Spoken" which it will not do if no filter is selected.
Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:12:15 PM by Tybot