Author Topic: Sorting in static playlists  (Read 2588 times)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
OK - I just spent some time trying out the auto-playlist option. I get exactly the same results. If I set sorting by the 'sort title' tag (which is what I want to use), when I close MB and re-open, the playlist goes back to 'manual order'. If I open a second tab for another playlist, change the sorting there, the sorting in the original playlist goes back to 'manual order' (sometimes). If I add a track to the static playlist upon which the auto-playlist is based (hope you're following me), the auto-playlist sort order goes back to 'manual order'.

SUGGESTION? (humour me)..
Open the Playlist that you say looks correct.
Copy the xml into Notepad.
Do what you do to make it look wrong.
Check the xml and see if there are any differences.

At least you should be able then to eliminate a problem with the playlist,  (assuming the xml will be identical)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Quote from: frankz date=1550752031
However, if you like the way iTunes does it better, that software is still available.

EDIT: LOL - I just noticed that this option has now been implemented at some point for static playlists, too, provided they're musicbee (mpb) playlists.  So this entire discussion is moot.  Just set it in the playlist settings and the sort/view will stick for that playlist only..

Indeed!  LOL of the week   :o
Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:59:16 PM by Freddy Barker

SHF

Thank you frankz - you seem to have cracked this for me! It's early days yet, but so far things seem to be behaving in the way I was looking for.

The key was pointing me in the direction of "display using this view" - in all the material I'd read about playlist sorting, no-one had mentioned that this is where you can permanently (hopefully!) determine the sorting of the playlist. Of course in retrospect it might appear obvious, but believe me it wasn't until your post. So many thanks for that :)

> However, if you like the way iTunes does it better, that software is still available.
Slightly below the belt, that one... There's no way I'm going back to iTunes, for reasons I'm sure everyone reading this will understand. But that doesn't mean we can't try and improve MB - or at least make its inner secrets more widely known. There's no need to LOL - I love MB because of the level of customisation available, but you have to admit that sometimes leads to a profusion of options and routes through them.

Thanks again all, particularly frankz and Freddy Barker. I'll let you know if I have any nasty surprises, but I think the query has been answered...

Simon