Author Topic: File Conversion  (Read 9546 times)

Munga

MusicBee is Great.   Just one thing when converting lets say flac to mp3 there should be a way to just convert straight to input folder with a tick box and have it delete the flac file on the fly. Can this be done.

Steven

• Administrator
i've added a tick box in the file converter to delete the original file.
its in the next update

antiPOP

One more thing , could you add Original folder to the output location, something like this

Usually I convert files to the original location.
Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:27:49 PM by antiPOP

Munga

Also as antiPOP has posted output to original folder would be nice

Munga

Thanks for the delete the original source file (working nice) but the problem is also i store each band/album in separate folders so if i want the mp3 to replace the flac in the same folder i have to keep switching the output folder to the same folder the band/album is to have it converted in the same folder. A simple tick box OUTPUT TO SOURCE FOLDER or CONVERT REPLACING ORIGINAL would eliminate me having to switch directories every time i convert.
Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:35:44 PM by Munga

antiPOP

"OUTPUT TO SOURCE FOLDER" would be much better, I don't want to replace by mistake any of my FLACs ;)

silvandy

I had already posted on this matter, but as the topic has surfaced again I am glad to give my support to it.

The "original folder" option as conversion destination would be great. Otherwise you have to issue as many repetitive conversion commands as the number of folders (i.e. usually albums) you want to convert.

I often convert some dozens of my 2000+ Cds after having ripped them, each in its own folder, to lower bitrate. At present this means exactly dozens of separate but identical conversion commands, one for each CD.

Thanks for the attention,

Steven

• Administrator
its already been done, but i didnt get time to fully test it last night (it has had basic testing though). Its included in this link i posted for a bug fix:
http://www.mediafire.com/?23j7gue5cbcecza

the only thing i'm planning to enahnce with it is to auomatically add the new file to the library if the deleted source file was in the library
Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:57:17 PM by Steven

silvandy

Good news come fast today... thanks for all.
Still there is a last glitch that IMHO should be settled:

if you want to change something of the format of your mp3 and get rid of the originals, what you really want is TO REPLACE the originals with new file with the same name! Of course this not always the case, but at least for me it often is.

The problem is that now you can get rid of the originals when converting only if the latter have a different extensions, otherwise you will get the blocking message asking to change name or folder for the new files.

This is actually a bit incongruous: you should be able to choose the option in all cases, even when your conversion does not change the codec (i.e. the filename extension) but only some parameters of it (e.g. bitrate).

Maybe this will complicate the matter a bit on the technical side, since the program will have to create the converted file with a temp fake name, then delete the original, and finally rename the converted file with the original name. I hope this is not terrible....

Munga

Steve,  Man your Fast!!!!  This is working nicely from flac to mp3. Haven't tried mp3 to mp3 as suggested but don't use that much.
Thanks again for the quick response, It's just getting better and better now.

By the way after i converted files from flac,  the mp3 files did automatically replace my flacs in the library. :)
Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:57:38 PM by Munga

Steven

• Administrator
i've added the functionality so it adds the new file to the library if the one being replaced is in the library (it might have already been working if you have a folder monitor enabled) and it now allows you to replace the original file with the same format

http://www.mediafire.com/?n79xcks7m28uwen