Author Topic: Plenue D: Transferred playlists report "No File" on device  (Read 4112 times)

DanAmrich

Short version: When I send MusicBee playlists to the Plenue D, those playlists appear on the device as "No File." Any ideas?

Long version: I know this is not uncommon, and while GibletPie's instructions are perfectly understandable and very easy to follow, my playlists always transfer as blank on the player -- that is, they exist, but report as "No File" when I view them on the device (internal or SD storage). I have tried this with the MusicBee library being stored on PC and on the SD card itself. If I use the former method, it re-copies the music to the device and I wind up with duplicate tracks. If I do the latter, I get "No File."

This might be a relevant question: Do the playlist and songs need to synchronized at the same time in order to be "seen" by the player? I started by copying all my music from my Win10 PC (standard artist/album/songs file structure) to the Music folder on my 128GB SD card. (For testing purposes, I currently have nothing on the 32GB internal storage.) Once the files were on the SD card, that's when I created playlists, using tracks from that directory. I figured if the songs were already on the SD card, and I built a playlist from those songs and saved that playlist to the same destination, the playlist would simply point to the existing library. With the device connected to my PC via USB, MusicBee can access, play, and handle all the music like it was any other music library -- MusicBee sees and interacts with the library just fine. Does the Plenue D have to see MusicBee transfer a playlist and all its associated files together/as one step in order to see the relationship between the files?

It seems weird that I can play things off the SD card within the Plenue D as normal -- pick any song, artist, or album and it's fine for playback. Internal playlist creation also works fine (but is obviously time consuming). I've followed Giblet's naming convention advice to the letter, so I feel like the data connections are there...right up to the point where the Plenue says "No File." I am using M3U(#EXT), but vanilla M3U offered similarly empty results.

Since I'm new to both MB and PD, I am happy to start from scratch with the whole library to make this work. That said, I have done that, deleted all the empty playlists, everything I can think of to give it a fresh start.  I just want what Giblet describes -- a playlist that only requires a song to be on the device once, that simply points to the correct location for each track, in a normal library where playlists act as pointers. (I am coming from iTunes so this functionality is my default.)

It's quite frustrating, and getting a Plenue D led me to MusicBee, which I very much like, but I have to believe I'm missing some small step, since other people apparently have been able to bring playlists from MB to PD. I'm just stumped.

If the answer lies in another thread, please direct me to it -- I'm trying to solve my own problems, honest, but this first week away from my iPod has been more challenging than expected thanks to this. Thank you!

Dan

DanAmrich

Follow-up: I've tried a few different tests with no success, save one: with all the music loaded on the SD card, I save a playlist to the internal 32GB, and it copies it over from the SD card to the internal storage. Then it works fine.

Why on earth would it not "see" the music that's already on the SD card for playlists that are saved to the SD card?

zkhcohen

Follow-up: I've tried a few different tests with no success, save one: with all the music loaded on the SD card, I save a playlist to the internal 32GB, and it copies it over from the SD card to the internal storage. Then it works fine.

Why on earth would it not "see" the music that's already on the SD card for playlists that are saved to the SD card?

Ensure that you've select "use relative file paths" under Edit > Preferences > Devices > Configure > Settings in the "Playlist Storage" sub-header.

daibaron