Author Topic: Backup Music Library  (Read 1145 times)

Ontanium

Hi, I am in the process of deleting and adding songs to my music library and was wondering if anybody has any insights on good way to backup a music library. Could I use MusicBee, could I use an application, or should I just stick to good old copy and paste of my entire music folder?

frankz

Do you mean copying your music files (mp3s, FLAC, etc) or do you actually mean your music library (i.e. MusicBee's files that govern how the music files are grouped and shown)?

If you mean your music files, your normal method of backing up files (Acronis or the like) should do.  Copying your music folder also works provided all your files are housed there and not all over the place.

If you mean your library, you should back up the folder where your library file (musicbeelibrary.mbl) is stored.  Some of it would be recreated from that file if lost, but if you have that whole folder you're sure to have what it would take to recreate your library in a usable state if an accident happens.

Personally, I have acronis backing everything on my system up to a dedicated drive and then I have carbonite backing the important stuff (including both things above) to the cloud.

I'm a big believer in the 3-2-1 backup rule.

nedseg

Similar question,  but would like to  'backup' (copy)  only the  files/folders  (same structure) that   contain tracks  with certain  ratings  and  above.
I'd like to  retain my original folder structure,  just not copy over 'less  good' tracks.
Suggestions on  how  to  do in MB? (Can't do in W7, b/c only MB can  'read'  my flac/dsd file ratings...
Thanks much!

boroda

you can't do this unless you include rating in file naming template and turn auto-organization on.