Author Topic: Failing to read multiple genre tags  (Read 1280 times)

emptyset

I recently moved to MusicBee, but I'm having trouble with multiple GENRE tags. For most of my collection, a GENRE value might look like this: "Metal/Hardcore". If I navigate to Multiple Genre Splitter in MusicBee, I can manually fix this by removing the old GENRE and adding individual ones for "Metal" and "Hardcore", but this is tedious. If I do this and go to Tag Inspector, I see that each genre tag has a Name of "GENRE", a Tag Code of "TCON", and a Value of "Metal" or "Hardcore". I can set this up easily for my whole collection via Mp3tag, but when I do so, MusicBee fails to acknowledge the multiple GENRE tags. I can tell because the song still appears under a genre called "Metal/Hardcore", rather than appearing under each of "Metal" and "Hardcore".

tl;dr: Does MusicBee rely on anything other than multiple GENRE tags with Tag Codes of "TCON" and different genre titles as Values? Setting this up via an external program does not seem to work.

redwing

Since MB uses a semicolon as a delimiter for multi-values, simply replace "/" with ";" using Tools> Tagging Tools> Search and Replace.

emptyset

Nice. Thanks for quick/easy fix. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why Mp3tag didn't work?

redwing

Probably again the delimiter issue? If you use its own delimiter "\\" in mp3tag, it gets translated to ";" when importing to MB.

phdnk

I have the reverse issue:
MB ver 3.2.6902 replaces ';' -> '\\' in every Genre tag value it touches.

There is no place I can configure the delimiter of my choice.
This active delimiter replacement behavior frustrates me big time !

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I have the reverse issue:
MB ver 3.2.6902 replaces ';' -> '\\' in every Genre tag value it touches.

There is no place I can configure the delimiter of my choice.
This active delimiter replacement behavior frustrates me big time !

This happens because there is not actually a delimiter in the file. Mp3 tag displays multiple values with \\, MusicBee displaysthem with ;, but they're actually separate values in the file. Have a look with MusicBee,'s tag inspector to see what i mean.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)