Author Topic: Easier delete options  (Read 2084 times)

bfallona

I have over 72k tracks and I have a very messy library which I have been trying to clean up.  I posted in general forum and got some great help in deleting "albums" but it's still slow and painful.   It would be nice to just highlight an "album" and hit the delete button without having to confirm.  Like I said, I found out about the shift-delete option but that's still one at a time. https://imgur.com/a/0QPk5Bl

phred

• Global Moderator
If you're in Artwork View you can select as many albums as you want (CTRL-CLICK) and then delete them all at once.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

bfallona

Thanks Phred. I was hoping someone who was a wiz would help point out how to do that.  But as Forrest Gump once said " I am not a smart man"   After your reply I went through every menu choice and tried to find it, but no luck.  Can u give me a  dummies step by step how to get to the right view to start selecting?  Thanks for any guidance.

phred

• Global Moderator
"Artwork View" is not a menu item. I guess at this point it would be helpful to see a screenshot of the entire MB window. I should be able to lead you once I see it.
screenshots: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=27359.msg153162#msg153162

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

bfallona

I hope this a help on decoding my question.  Let me know if you want more, but I think this will help. https://imgur.com/a/MLShBw1

boroda

post full screenshot if this one is cropped. I don't understand which view you are using.

phred

• Global Moderator
it would be helpful to see a screenshot of the entire MB window.
Yes. What boroda said. Looking at what you posted doesn't show the full window. As a matter of fact, that doesn't even look like a view from MB.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

bfallona

Yes that one was MB artist view.   Here is the full screen. https://imgur.com/a/T9Z1iRi

frankz

This is the same as the other problem you were having.  You delete from the right side main panel, not the left thumbnail browser, which is a visual representation of what's at the right.  The left reflects what exists at the right.  

If you want to delete multiple items in one shot, you either needs to tag them so they show up grouped together on the left or go to the top of the left and select "All Artists."  "All Artists" will put everything in the main panel, then you can select them as you wish and do your SHFT-DEL.  

You keep saying "Deleting Albums" when you mean "Deleting Files" (because you don't have anything tagged as albums).  That's where the confusion keeps cropping up with those of us trying to point you in the right direction.  You don't have albums, you have a collection of disorganized individual files. The thumbnail browser is of no use when none of your files are tagged properly.  It's throwing you off and I would even suggest you remove it because without tags there's no reason for it to be there.

I suggest you use a mass tagging tool of some sort to get your collection in order and then, once that's done, create a new library with the corrected files and you'll have a much better time in MB. MB will perform much better and in a way that you expect once you give it input in a coherent manner.

Something like MusicBrainz Picard can scan the audio of your files and match them to albums in its database and auto-tag them.  That will save a lot of searching and typing.

MB can do this too, but I find it easier in a dedicated program like Picard.
Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:12:40 PM by frankz

frankz

I just wanted to add that we've all been there to one extent or another.  I started my digital music collection in the days of Napster and Kazaa where nothing was tagged and all I had to go by was the artist - title.mp3 file names that I gave the files after I downloaded them from peers who were as clueless as I was about organizing them.  Being a digital music librarian is hard work and takes a lot of thought and passion and dedication to get anywhere close to right in a way that the output will be satisfying.  If it was simple and easy and intuitive, there wouldn't be 10,000 paid and free programs to help people do it.  But we've all had a library that was too disorganized to be useful at some point.