Author Topic: Last.fm tagging  (Read 1666 times)

reuhop

When syncing play count from Last.fm, it shouldn't use the album tag to identify tracks. Some streaming services will tag the album and some don't. If the same song has an album tag in one scrobble and doesn't in another, then MusicBee will think they are two different songs. Or, if I update the album tag on MusicBee, it will think it's a different song and all the scrobbles from before won't be counted in the play count. If MusicBee didn't use the album tag when identifying tracks it would fix this issue. It's very unlikely someone will have two different songs with the same artist and name so using the album tag to identify tracks is redundant.

frankz

When syncing play count from Last.fm, it shouldn't use the album tag to identify tracks. Some streaming services will tag the album and some don't. If the same song has an album tag in one scrobble and doesn't in another, then MusicBee will think they are two different songs. Or, if I update the album tag on MusicBee, it will think it's a different song and all the scrobbles from before won't be counted in the play count. If MusicBee didn't use the album tag when identifying tracks it would fix this issue. It's very unlikely someone will have two different songs with the same artist and name so using the album tag to identify tracks is redundant.
There are many reasons why you'd want to know which album a song came from and it is absolutely correct for MusicBee to refer to the album tags when updating permanent data and ignore it if it's not a perfect match.

Live albums is the first example that comes to mind, along with remasters, remixes (not DJ remixes that are usually identified in the title, but proper album remixes), remasters, single versions vs album versions, etc.

phred

• Global Moderator
t's very unlikely someone will have two different songs with the same artist and name so using the album tag to identify tracks is redundant.
It's definitely not redundant. I have a different versions (usually live performances) of the same track title by the same artist. For example I have over thirty versions of Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones. Or over twenty versions of Not Fade Away by Grateful Dead.

So as frankz states, it's important that the album title be used.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:20:06 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Babydoll32

Hmm. It would be better, if it could be switched on and off. I understand what reuhop means. I.e. I have songs, where album is tagged xxx (Remix) or xxx (EP). All scrobbler I've tested (especially) in android won't scrobble it the right way. Albumtag will be completely ignored in most cases and MB won't sync back. But I also understand the other arguments.

frankz

Hmm. It would be better, if it could be switched on and off. I understand what reuhop means. I.e. I have songs, where album is tagged xxx (Remix) or xxx (EP). All scrobbler I've tested (especially) in android won't scrobble it the right way. Albumtag will be completely ignored in most cases and MB won't sync back. But I also understand the other arguments.
Yes, if you have inaccurate album titles in the album field, last.fm will not be able to match it up with albums in its database.  I do this too ([2009 Remaster],[DCC Gold], etc).

But, if I'm not mistaken, because last.fm sends back all the information you've sent it whether or not there's a match in last.fm's album database, MB is able to match these back up with what's in your library and synch the play counts and all just fine. That's the way it seems to be working here.  If I play such a track in my car and then come home and open MB, the play shows up.

It's just that it won't match to an album last.fm knows about if you look at it on last.fm.  So, basically, you won't see a cover for it there.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:16:30 PM by frankz