Author Topic: Playback failure for some unicode file paths  (Read 1153 times)

stama

Hi, I've just installed MusicBee and added some music to the library and run into a bug: for some folder paths, adding to the library works ok, but playback fails.

Steps:
- I've added this cue file to the MusicBee library: "E:\Music\Videogame & Anime Soundtracks\Le recueil des faits improbables de Ryoko Yakushiji\薬師寺涼子の怪奇事件簿 1 Le recueil des faits improbables de Ryoko Yakushiji 1\CDImage.tak.jpn.utf8.cue"
- the album shows up in MusicBee
- now, try to play any track in the album
-> an error dialog shows, saying "Unable to open file". There is no additional information in the error log. Using ProcessMon, I notice that MusicBee tries to access an invalid file path:

However, if I copy the folder somewhere else, like to my C:\Users\...\Music folder, then playback works:

Foobar2000 has no problem playing the files in their original location. There is no issue accessing the files in their original location in Windows explorer, or opening the cue file in Notepad, or anything else. It's only MusicBee that fails, and by the looks of it it's a character encoding issue. In the ProcessMon log it can be seen that MusicBee does address the location of the tak file properly first, before it tries to access it using a corrupted file path string later.

Steven

• Administrator
could you send me a link to the cuesheet file as i cant reproduce this issue

stama

Sure, it's available here.

But it's not the cue sheet file the issue. After copying the folder to another location, MusicBee is able to play using this cue sheet file. My second screenshot is of MusicBee playing from this new folder with the same cue sheet file as in the original folder location.

The issue are the characters in the folder name. When I copy the folder to another location, Windows changes the bytes making up the characters in the folder name - normalizing it differently - (although visually it's the same), and MusicBee is able to play. MusicBee is not able to play the files from the original folder which has different bytes making up the folder name.

I don't know how to help you debug this, as I don't know of a way to recreate on your computer the folder name as it is on my computer.

As I've said, no other application has issues with accessing the contents of the original folder, it's only MusicBee. Which means MusicBee is likely doing something to convert the characters in the file path from an encoding to another, and it's making assumptions which are not correct.

boroda

what if you copy folder(s) in question to other location, delete original folder(s) and move copies back?
Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:08:13 PM by boroda (aka boroda74)

Steven

• Administrator
The TAK api doesnt support unicode strings, so MB uses the windows 8.3 short name to open the tak file as the TAK api doesnt support unicode text. I have no issues at all with the file path you used. The only suggestion i have is it might be that your computer is not configured in windows to support 8.3 short filenames, but in any case I wont be able to help further