Author Topic: MusicBee won't move/copy a ripped album from Scandisk to my computer library  (Read 1293 times)

cecil

MusicBee will recognize the tracks from the Scandisk and play them, but I can't move or copy them from the device. MusicBee appears to move the files to my library but once you remove the Scandisk, Musicbee places a small RED 'x' beside each track  and indicates there is no data.
Is there some further procedure that needs to be followed when copying ripped (FLAC) files?

captain_paranoia

> Scandisk

The what?

Are you trying to rip tracks from a CD? If so, use the ripping tool, don't try to drag and drop.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Or do you mean Sandisk, like a USB drive or SD card? In that case, MusicBee has not moved the files off of the drive unless you've told it to. So if you take the drive away, the files go away too.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

cecil

Thanks for your response. Let me try to clarify my situation.

ScanDisk is a brand name for a memory stick that you insert in a USB slot. Once inserted, my PC recognizes the drive, my PC recognizes and will play the files through windows media player, however musicbee will not. Removal of the memory stick results in the removal of the drive so, yes files are gone. So how do I get MusicBee to move or copy the FLAC files into my library so that MusicBee will be able to manipulate  and play them as them as part of my library.

MusicBee doesn't seem to be able to recognize the memory stick drive so it can't rip the disk. At least I can't find the method to tell MusicBee the name of the drive.

Any further information you could provide would be help full. 

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for your response. Let me try to clarify my situation.

ScanDisk is a brand name for a memory stick that you insert in a USB slot.
SANdisk. There is no C in the word. The company that makes flash drives is called SANdisk.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash
The only flash drives I've found on the internet named SCANdisk are on eBay. And the accompanying picture is of SANdisk.

Once inserted, my PC recognizes the drive, my PC recognizes and will play the files through windows media player, however musicbee will not. Removal of the memory stick results in the removal of the drive so, yes files are gone. So how do I get MusicBee to move or copy the FLAC files into my library so that MusicBee will be able to manipulate  and play them as them as part of my library.

MusicBee doesn't seem to be able to recognize the memory stick drive so it can't rip the disk. At least I can't find the method to tell MusicBee the name of the drive.
When you insert the SANdisk in your USB port, does Windows assign a drive letter? And if so, does it always assign the same drive letter each time you insert that particular flash drive? If so you need to point MB to that drive letter via its computer node and manipulate them. But MB will throw an error/alert every time you launch it with the flash drive not present.

I think the best solution is for you to copy the files to your hard drive.
Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:41:23 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

cecil

When you insert the SANdisk in your USB port, does Windows assign a drive letter? And if so, does it always assign the same drive letter each time you insert that particular flash drive? If so you need to point MB to that drive letter via its computer node and manipulate them. But MB will throw an error/alert every time you launch it with the flash drive not present.

I think the best solution is for you to copy the files to your hard drive

Phredd,
You are correct. Spelling of Scandisk incorrect. It is SANDisk. Sorry for the confusion.

Windows will always assign the next available drive letter when it finds a new device, so it may not be the same every time.

So are you saying that MusicBee cannot be manipulated to point at a new drive when you say it will 'Throw' an error?

If the best solution is to copy files to my hard drive, can you explain what device other than the CDRom can be used, and how MusicBee can copy FLAC files from this device. At this juncture I thought that was what I was attempting to do?????

frankz

It sounds like you'd be much better off copying the files from the USB to your hard drive in Windows explorer and then importing them into MB that way as suggested previously.

phred

• Global Moderator
It sounds like you'd be much better off copying the files from the USB to your hard drive in Windows explorer and then importing them into MB that way as suggested previously.
Yes. This.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here