Author Topic: Syncing to portable devices with SD card and internal memory  (Read 2996 times)

Johnnyseven

My Astell & Kern AK70 has a 256gb micro sd card and a 64gb internal memory. I have filled up the micro sd card but when I try and sync the library to the internal memory, Musicbee tries to sync the entire library not just the files that it can't fit onto the micro sd.

Musicbee knows that the device has an sd card and an internal memory but seems to treat them as separate entities, it doesn't seem to be able to be set so that it treats them as the same device.

Just wondering if there is a way that I can set Musicbee so that it treats both memory stores as part of the same device, so that once one is full the remaining songs get stored on the other?
Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:54:48 PM by Johnnyseven

HAL Lives

I don't know that that's possible, you're basically asking MusicBee to treat two separate pieces of storage media as a single volume, kind of like a Hybrid Drive in a PC or a Fusion Drive in a Mac.

In both cases the system OS is actually managing the drive(s), with a possible assist from firmware on the drive.

Perhaps the developer could chime in here, or one of the more technically minded mods etc.

phred

• Global Moderator
As HAL Lives stated, it's really not possible. Windows sees the internal and external as two different drives. If you could find a way to 'link' them together as one drive, then MB would see it as one drive. But I don't think it can be done easily. Or at all. The big problem would be syncing playlists, since some tracks might be on the internal and other tracks in the same playlist would be on the external.

One (the only?) solution is to buy a larger SD Card. Amazon is your friend. Just be careful to avoid fakes. Like a 500gb micro SD for thirty USD. I recently found a SanDisk 400gb Class 10 for about ninety USD. By the time I fill that up, the 512gb cards will be down to that price.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

HAL Lives

Windows sees the internal and external as two different drives. If you could find a way to 'link' them together as one drive, then MB would see it as one drive. But I don't think it can be done easily. Or at all.

Exactly, that's what the firmware on a Hybrid or Fusion drive will do, effectively "link" the mechanical drive and SSD chips, telling the OS what it's dealing with.

As for a bigger SD card, only buy reputable brands, and only buy from reputable resellers such as Amazon or Newegg. Do NOT buy from a 3rd party on any site, it will usually say something along the lines of, "Sold by ABC Co, fulfilled by whatever site you're on." Those 3rd party resellers are ground zero for counterfeits and fakes.

Johnnyseven

If it's not possible that's fine as I can just drag and drop files to the internal memory now that my Micro SD is full. I am aiming to get a bigger Micro SD in the future, once I find one for a good price!

Thanks for all your replies!