Author Topic: Custom Tags not Working for MP3 Files  (Read 921 times)

UTSquishy

I have a lot of Surround Sound content in my music collection.
Most of my music is ripped directly from physical media in FLAC format.
I setup a custom Tag using the ENCODER SETTINGS space to keep track of the surround sound source and type (Since I can't get MusicBee to play DTS - I wanted a way to know if I needed to open certain files in another player)

This works great for most of my content. But the ENCODER SETTINGS flag does not get read by MusicBee if the file is an MP3.
I tagged all my MP3's as Stereo in the ENCODER SETTINGS slot. But MusicBee doesn't read it and display it in the displayed Panel Fields for the MP3 files.

(In the Screenshopt - all the albums that don't say something under the Artist Name [i.e. Stereo, Mono, etc.] are MP3 albums, but those MP3 files are tagged the same way the Flac, Etc. files are tagged.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dBX2_S9NO2sINKj6nl_eg7FGFwt27j1O

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Not sure why the Encoder Settings tag is not reading.
Could be something to do with Encoder/Encoder Settings being the same tag (TSSE) in MP3's.

Have a look with the Tag Inspector to see what tag the info is being saved to; flac vs. mp3 file.

Another option could be to use the inbuilt <Channels> tag that MB reads from the file itself.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

UTSquishy

Using the Channels Tag works for the MP3 files, but it's not an elegant solution for the Multichannel files.
DTS files show up as Stereo (Because DTS is Functionally, digital multichannel data disguised as a normal stereo waveform)
Many of my Quad titles are functionally 5.1 or 5.0 with silent channels. And I've already got a system in place to mark whether the Quad is sourced from Quad Tape, or Quad LP (and it goes even further to tag which of the LP quad systems was the source [SQ, QS, CD4, etc.])

I should probably also mention that I'm accessing these files on 2 computers, from the same portable hard drive.
I can mark them as stereo in MusicBee and it will show up as I want on my work computer.
But when I access it from my home computer it's not there, so If I mark it in MusicBee from that computer it shows up.
BUT when I access it from my work computer it's no longer there.
Both Systems are using the same version of MusicBee, one actually marks the MP3's using the ENCODER SETTINGS tag, and the other marks them with the ENCODERSETTINGS tag. Which is strange because all other filetypes just use the ENCODER SETTINGS tag.

I suppose I could co-opt a different Tag altogether and just move the current ENCODER SETTINGS tag to that one, is there perhaps a different tag that would functionally work better? One that isn't used often but makes sense to co-opt, which isn't functionally different in mp3's like the one I happened to chose.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Both Systems are using the same version of MusicBee, one actually marks the MP3's using the ENCODER SETTINGS tag, and the other marks them with the ENCODERSETTINGS tag. Which is strange because all other filetypes just use the ENCODER SETTINGS tag.
Check your tag settings, the system writing ENCODERSETTINGS may be using APEv2 tags.

I suppose I could co-opt a different Tag altogether and just move the current ENCODER SETTINGS tag to that one, is there perhaps a different tag that would functionally work better? One that isn't used often but makes sense to co-opt, which isn't functionally different in mp3's like the one I happened to chose.
Media Type or File Type are rarely used these days. Most players read this info from the file header.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

UTSquishy

My tag settings say: Save MP3 tags as: ID3v2.3 (also save ID3v1 tags is also checked)

I think I'm going to test using media type instead. I'll report back on what I do.