Author Topic: MB will not add some files to its library which have been downloaded from BBC  (Read 847 times)

LateJunction

• Oh, how complex is the human mind.
I have previously posted on this forum asking why I could not add some files to the library. I have now found that the files which will not add, together with another set of files (see later), do have one thing in common: they were all obtained from the BBC using the 'get-iplayer' app under Linux. They were all of file type 'm4a' or 'aac'. 

Just to complicate things I do have audio files obtained in this way which do get added to the library without any problem, except they either pre-date or post-date the problem files.

As a matter of further complication there are also some such files which did make it into the MB library but which are grouped under the 'unknown artist' category. Attempts to edit these files results in a flashing exclamation mark in a red circle to the left of the 'save' button in the edit window. Hovering over this icon causes a message (about the file having been edited outside of MB and suggesting a 'rescan' of the file), to be displayed. Pressing 'save' resuls in an error message about the file failing some sort of validation process and the file not being updated. Rescanning the file does not change this scenario at all. These files are permanently in 'limbo': details about the file are unknown but cannot be updated.

The strange thing about these files downloaded from the BBC, in a period from about 2012 to 2016, is that they can be played, problem-free, in every player I have under windows and LInux - about 20 such players in total, including MB itself. I also find they can be added to a library in every music cataloging app in have in Windows and Linux - about 6 in total - except MB.

The only technique that I have found that will cause MB to add such files to its library is to open the file in  Audacity and then export it as an m4a file (over-writing the original if necessary) using the default codecs in Audacity. There is also then no probelm in editing this file in MB.

My conclusion is that there is some difference in opinion between MB and all other similar apps and players in what constitues a valid implementation of the AAC file specification (or is the m4A specification ?). The BBC also seems to have changed the way it is encoding its files (I discount a problem with get-iplayer - in this context it is just a transport mechanism).

sveakul

See redwing's response to your other post about corrupt file headers and a possible fix, but if it's all aac/m4a you might want to first try adding the file "bass_aac.dll" to your main MusicBee folder, which will cause the audio engine (bass.dll) to use that to decode aac/m4a instead of the built-in Windows codec, which has sometimes been a problem in Windows 10 in particular.  Download the zip file here:  https://www.un4seen.com/download.php?z/2/bass_aac24 ;  then, extract just the file "bass_aac.dll" from the zip package (NOT the one inside the "x64" subfolder) and put it in the main MusicBee folder with all the other bass plugins.  Of course, this will not fix a corrupt headers issue, but is worth a shot.

LateJunction

• Oh, how complex is the human mind.
See redwing's response to your other post about corrupt file headers and a possible fix, but if it's all aac/m4a you might want to first try adding the file "bass_aac.dll" to your main MusicBee folder, which will cause the audio engine (bass.dll) to use that to decode aac/m4a instead of the built-in Windows codec, which has sometimes been a problem in Windows 10 in particular.  Download the zip file here:  https://www.un4seen.com/download.php?z/2/bass_aac24 ;  then, extract just the file "bass_aac.dll" from the zip package (NOT the one inside the "x64" subfolder) and put it in the main MusicBee folder with all the other bass plugins.  Of course, this will not fix a corrupt headers issue, but is worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion: I already have version 2.4.5.8 of bass_acc.dll installed in my  MB folder. MB still doesn't like aac files and still will not add the files I have downloaded from the BBC. I have tried to follow the advice from redwing - I will comment on the results of that in that thread.