Author Topic: How do I numerically organize files?  (Read 1101 times)

Alastair

How do I numerically organize files? I added numbered files and they appear in random order. I need them to be in numerical order. Thanks.
Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:24:03 AM by Alastair

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum! Can you provide a little more info? Are you talking about within your library or on your drive? A screenshot might help us understand.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Alastair

Thanks for the speedy reply. I selected add files to library and pointed to the contents of an audio CD. I selected all the files, I clicked open and they appeared in my library but not in numerical order. I am not at the computer in my music studio right now so I can't send a screenshot. I'll try to send a screenshot tomorrow.

redwing

Do you mean their filenames start with a number? In that case, add filename column to the main panel and sort by it.
Also adding track# will help sorting them using Tools> Tagging Tools> Renumber Tracks command.

captain_paranoia

I make sure my files are ripped to filenames with a leading-zero track number prefix. That way, even the most basic media players, that use a simple alphanumeric sort, will present the tracks in the album order.

Of course, you should also have the tracks correctly tagged with the track number and other metadata. Then you can sort by whichever tag you wish; track#, track name, artist, album artist, etc. etc.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I selected add files to library and pointed to the contents of an audio CD. I selected all the files, I clicked open and they appeared in my library but not in numerical order.

Did you actually rip the files? It sounds like you just added the CD without ripping anything, so MusicBee can't make much sense of it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)