Author Topic: New compu: playlists dont recognise files  (Read 946 times)

cat

Hi I've just had to get a new compu and when I copied over the music, the playlists dont recognise the files and want me to search to locate the files. As this would take a long time to do one by one, I'm wondering if there is a way to bulk locate?

The files are organised in several folders. They have the same names as previously, however I'm now using windows 10 instead of 8.1.

Many thanks for the help.

sveakul

When you  put MusicBee on the new computer, did you install it from scratch and re-create the library, or copy it over as-is from the old computer?  Is it only playlist files that have the not-found problem, as opposed to the rest of the files in your library?  Are the playlist file paths exactly the same as to drive letter, folder, sub-folder as they were on the old PC?  Are you/have you used auto-organize on either one of the installations?

cat

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I am on the road and have not had internet access for a long time.

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, these are laptops.
The reason for the new computer is that the screen smashed on the old one and I wasn't able to get it fixed. I can't do anything from there. When I set up the account on the new, I tried to remember the identical account name from the old laptop. I think it's the same.
The files were copied from a hard drive which was simply a back up of the old So, all the folders have the same names and were copied into the Music folder of windows library. A big difference is that the new runs on windows 10, and the old on windows 8.1.
I'm trying to remember the rest of your questions... I think that you asked whether it is just the playlists which don't recognise the files? Yes, the playlists can't find them. They ask to locate the files. Music Bee itself can see the files, and the playlists. But when I go into a playlist, it says something like it can't find the file, please add the path.

I understand that if the path is not identical ( as it might not be having "upgraded" to windows 10) that the playlists will not be able to find the files. However, instead of going one by one, which would take years to complete, is there a way that Music Bee could be shown the new location for all the music files and then find them from there. As I said, they are all in the Music folderf of windows, in the same folders as before.

cat

As regards to Auto-organise, I have not used it. I don't know what it is, I will look at it and get back to you.

cat

Hi again, apologies, I don't find the auto-organise. Could you tell me how to access it please?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For auto-organize, check this out: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/File_Organization

But for your playlists, try looking at the filepath it expects vs the new file path, and use the Relink Music Files command from the Files menu.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

cat

I had to create another folder with the former path eventually, as the files were spread out over several folders, but this helped. Thank you. It appears to be ok now.