Author Topic: Tool to cut audio (or at least mp3) files  (Read 16929 times)

VX

It would be great if I could shorten my audio files with MB by marking on the progressbar when the track is played which part (at the beginning or at the end) to remove. It would be really useful to make ringtones or manage songs recorded from a Radio (remove advertisements etc).

I tried various mp3 file cutters and wasn't satisfied with. Audacity is too bloated for me and doesn't work as it should on Windows 7 64 bit, mp3direct cut is OK, but I don't like the GUI.
For cutting mp3 files I can recommend a little freeware app called Wavosaur - it has very intuitive GUI and does the job. The only drawback is that the output files are in WAV format, tags are lost and you must reencode it to mp3 after the edition. More info: http://alternativeto.net/software/wavosaur/

Wavosaur can be configured to work with MB as an external tool.
Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:25:45 PM by VX

VX

mp3DirectCut works good, too
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

I tried it some time ago and couldn't figure out how to cut the track quickly. So I guess the GUI isn't intuitive or I did sth wrongly. Could you, please, give my step by step instructions how to use mp3DirectCut to cut a mp3 file  ???

I hope the feature would be included in future MB releases as MB have already supported start and end time markers (Edit tag/ Setting tab), which I guess could be used to cut unwanted parts of the file. I'd suggest to take advantage of progress bar while cutting as it would be easy accessible and intuitive.
 If only Steven could join the features and make best mp3 cutter ever... ;)

VX

OrB, thank you very much. It couldn't be explained better. :)

Sarge

VX..I used to use a program called Goldwave to make ringtones, and yes it saved them in .wav format and my cell server wouldn't play them..But I found that if i changed the .wav to a .mid and ignored the error. They worked on my cellphone.
Verizon was my carrier. not sure if that holds true for others

VX

Sarge, thanks for the advice.

I hope Steven consider to enhance MB functionality by adding the tool for cutting audio files. I can imagine the intuitive audio cutter build in MB that would take advantage of existing MB features (see above) and wouldn't clutter the GUI.

Furthermore, the small size of free separate tools that provide the audio cutting functionality (mp3directCut, Wavosaur) seems to point out that the MB installer wouldn't increase too much when the cutting tool was added.

ferongr

This is not one of the features that should be covered my Musicbee. This feature is audio editor territory.

Anyway, mp3directcut is still the ideal program to use since it crops the mp3 file without re-encoding it, resulting in no quality loss, something Musicbee won't be able to do.

Antonski

Anyway, mp3directcut is still the ideal program to use since it crops the mp3 file without re-encoding it, resulting in no quality loss, something Musicbee won't be able to do.

Actually, this would be possible with a third party command line tool, if Steven decides to implement it.
Such tool could be pcutmp3, the most accurate mp3 cutter probably. It requires java, though.
Here is the output from the tool:

Code
PCutMP3 -- Properly Cut MP3 v0.97.1

Description:
  This tool is able to do sample granular cutting of MP3 streams via
  the LAME-Tag's delay/padding values. A player capable of properly
  interpreting the LAME-Tag is needed in order to enjoy this tool.

Syntax:
  java -jar pcutmp3.jar [<options>] [<source-mp3-filename>]
  (Default operation is scanning only)

Available options:
  --cue <cue-filename>     split source mp3 via cue sheet
                           mp3 source can be omitted if it's already
                           referenced by the CUE sheet
  --crop t:s-e[,t:s-e[..]] crop tracks manually, t = track#
                           s = start sample/time (inclusive)
                           e = end sample/time (exclusive)
                           Time is specified in [XXm]YY[.ZZ]s
                           for XX minutes and YY.ZZ seconds
  --out <scheme>           specify custom naming scheme where
                           %s = source filename (without extension)
                           %n = track number (leading zero)
                           %t = track title (from CUE sheet)
                           %p = track performer (from CUE sheet)
                           %a = album name (from CUE sheet)
                           Default is "%n. %p - %t"
  --dir <directory>        specify destination directory
                           Default is the current working directory
  --album <albumname>      set album name (for ID3 tag)
  --artist <artistname>    set artist name (for ID3 tag)

Note:
  Option parameters which contain space characters must be
  enclosed via quotation marks (see examples).

Examples:
  java -jar pcutmp3.jar --cue something.cue --out "%n - %t"
  java -jar pcutmp3.jar --crop 1:0-8000,2:88.23s-3m10s largefile.mp3

Developed by Sebastian Gesemann.
  ID3v2 Support added by Chris Banes using the library JID3.
     http://jid3.blinkenlights.org/

So, it is not impossible...

Edit:
It requires java, though.

As well as jid3 library
Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:03:56 PM by Antonski

ferongr

My point is, there's no need to include this feature as part of a Music player/Manager program.

Antonski

I agree.
Moreover, this approach is feasible for mp3 only.

Steven

• Administrator
i agree its straying outside of what MB should be doing. I have no problem with integrating to external tools, so if there is a better way for MB to integrate with the tool let me know, but MB already allows command line parameters (including ones that can take tag values)

VX

OK, thank you very much for the replies and clarification.  :)

I'll use mp3DirectCut as an external tool with MB unless I find sth better.

fyzyc

Wlee2060

Why not try this easy-to-use smart audio trimmer named Joyoshare Media Cutter? Clear interface and simple to operate, with powerful features. It won't disappoint you. Just give it a try.