Author Topic: Build a Music Library  (Read 1256 times)

giannit

I like to keep things simple. I am ripping my CD’s to flac files on a PC. I plan to move them to a NAS sometime in the future. I capture Album, Artist, Artist Track Title. Don’t care about lyrics, photo etc.

I assume I will be able to add new music at any time later once I am done with the bulk of my collection.

So, why can’t I just keep on ripping to build up my source music files and build a library when I am
done?

phred

• Global Moderator
I like to keep things simple. I am ripping my CD’s to flac files on a PC. I plan to move them to a NAS sometime in the future. I capture Album, Artist, Artist Track Title. Don’t care about lyrics, photo etc.
It's probably best to let MB organize and move to the NAS as you rip. But you can rip to your Inbox -or- to your library. If to the Inbox, you can move to the Library (NAS) later. If you're using MB for the rips, then it's best -NOT- to move files using an outside file manager. Moving them from within MB will save you a lot of trouble when MB can't find the files since it doesn't know where your outside file manager put them.

I assume I will be able to add new music at any time later once I am done with the bulk of my collection.
You can add new music whenever you want.

So, why can’t I just keep on ripping to build up my source music files and build a library when I am
done?
There's no reason you can't do that, but I might help you keep track of what you've ripped by adding it to your library upon completion of the rip.

I suggest looking at File Organization from the Wiki: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/File_Organization
And then browsing though the Wiki to become familiar with other aspects of MB.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here