Author Topic: Trying to Remove an Album and Reload it  (Read 1852 times)

seurat01

I'm just beginning with MusicBee (MB) and I'm totally confused. 

I ripped a CD thinking that it was set to FLAC and discovered that somehow the setting was, in fact, MP3.  How that happened is another issue.

For my immediate problem, I looked around in MB and couldn't find any options for deleting an album.  So, I deleted the album in the MB music folder and tried ripping it again. 

MB showed that it was ripping to FLAC but clearly was not as it loaded every song almost instantly.  The files in the MB music directory don't show anywhere near the correct bit rates, etc.  In addition, the songs are showing up with the correct length but don't play so that confirms, probably, that the songs were not actually ripped.

So, again I tried finding a way to delete the album from within MB.  I discovered that I could highlight the song list, right click and delete them.  I tried ripping again with the same result.

It seems that MB has "logged" the album as ripped and simply won't re-rip it no matter what I do and I simply can't find an effective means for clearing the album out of MB's records.  As I said earlier, I'm completely lost at this point.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

That sounds really frustrating, but I think we can help you sort it out.

Can you show us a screenshot of your settings for ripping a CD (as found in preferences)? Also, do you have auto - organize or automatics sweep and organize new files configured for your library? (Both in library preferences)

You may also find this page helpful: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Ripping
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

seurat01

Thanks for the response and link to the wiki.

By the way, as far as I can recall I didn't change any defaults except from MP3 to FLAC.  I'm not certain of that as I may have changed something while trying to figure out how to delete the album, but I don't think that I did.

I have images of the screens but I don't see any way to forward them with this post.  There doesn't appear to be an "Attach File" option.  The "Insert Image" option prompts for an URL, which I would not have for an image on my PC.  I tried copying and pasting but the paste option doesn't show up inside the message.  "Crtl C/V" doesn't work either.

I'm sure this is user error but I just don't see an option for including the images.  Do I have to copy the images to someplace on the web in order to link to them?

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
...I'm sure this is user error but I just don't see an option for including the images.  Do I have to copy the images to someplace on the web in order to link to them?

Upload your screenshot to an image hosting site and embed into post as per example..
Code
[img]https://i.imgur.com/rbzxfni.png[/img]

seurat01

OK.  Thanks for the clarification.  I'm not familiar with sharing images that way, so bear with me if I completely screw this up.

https://flic.kr/g/GvPMi

There should be 3 images available.
Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:00:37 PM by psychoadept

seurat01

I don't see the image link showing up in my previous post.

The URL that I posted into the "Insert Image" is flic.kr/g/GvPMi.  I've posted it in this message as well but I don't know why it would show up here but not in the previous post.
Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:01:32 PM by psychoadept

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't see the image link showing up in my previous post.

The URL that I posted into the "Insert Image" is flic.kr/g/GvPMi.  I've posted it in this message as well but I don't know why it would show up here but not in the previous post.

It's not showing up because you linked to a web page, not an image file (.jpg or .png). I changed it to a hyperlink for you. But I don't see any images in the album?
Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:18:02 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

seurat01

Thanks again for the clarification.  I don't see any way to get a link that shows as a "jpeg", etc. 

When I click on the link in the earlier post (https://flic.kr/g/GvPMi) it takes me directly to the Flickr Group ("musicbee issue") and the three images are there.  I can also copy and paste it into the URL block and it brings me to the images, as well.  I suppose that permissions might be a problem but I set the group up with as open ended an option as was offered.

In any case, following are links (again without "jpeg", etc.) to the images, not the group:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8252671@N07/44215052970/in/dateposted-friend/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8252671@N07/45118963235/in/dateposted-friend/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8252671@N07/44215053060/in/dateposted-friend/

If you know of a better alternative than Flickr, please let me know.

Steven

• Administrator
i have no idea what is going on or exactly what you are doing but a couple of things:
- make sure you are using v3.2 from the downloads page
- when you delete a song from musicbee, make sure you choose the option to permanently delete instead of just removing the file from the library. You are advised to delete the song from within MB, rather than directly in the folder otherwise the info in MB can get out of synch with whats on your disc.
- check that you havent mis-configured the flac file converter by choosing a file in your library, right click/ send to/ Format Converter
and choose flac. If the same thing happens the flac conveter preferences are probably messed up (preferences/ file converters) or you are out of disc space on the driver that holds temporary files

seurat01

Steven,

I'm  using 3.2.6827.

I'll use your comments to see if I have better results. 

In the interim, is your note confirmation that you are not able to reach the images on Flickr?

Also, the only way I've seen to delete a file (song) is to right click on it and the only options given are to remove it from the library or the library and computer.  I don't see an option to permanently delete.

While on the topic I find it difficult to believe that I can't simply select an album and delete it.  Isn't there a way to do that rather than having to select songs and delete via right click?

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
....the only way I've seen to delete a file (song) is to right click on it and the only options given are to remove it from the library or the library and computer.  I don't see an option to permanently delete.

Yes, that's the one!
The "remove from library AND computer" option, (after you have selected all the tracks on the album to be deleted).
Freddy

seurat01

OK - I've done that several times. 

Then when I try to rip the CD again MusicBee (MB) loads the songs almost instantaneously and, as I noted earlier, the files are clearly not FLAC, or any playable format for that matter.

It seems that MB has a record showing that the CD has been ripped, won't rip it again and just repopulates information it already has on file.  Am I making any sense?

Also, are you able to access the screenshots using the links I provided?

phred

• Global Moderator
While on the topic I find it difficult to believe that I can't simply select an album and delete it.  Isn't there a way to do that rather than having to select songs and delete via right click?
The same instructions apply to deleting an album. Right-click and select Delete. Then chose to "remove from library and computer."
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

After an attempted rip, are there files in \Ripped Files\?  What are they?  

Also, if you're not sure if your albums are ripping properly, why not select "validate rips using accurate rip" and "always show results" to see if the rips are going properly?

Let's start there and see if the rip process or the import process is going wrong.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Frankz is on the right track.

I can see the images you linked directly. Still nothing in the album, oh well. But everything looks fine on your settings. Some other places it might help us to see: your FLAC converter preferences, and MusicBee's tag inspector for one of the files that shows up in your library after you try ripping.

Regarding deleting files, you can't just select them and press delete? If not, something strange is going on that's interfering with MusicBee's operation. (A short cut for permanently deleting a file is Shift+Delete.)
Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:10:41 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)