Author Topic: What is a good way to view singles?  (Read 2953 times)

Antonio

I am wondering:

Musicbee has a couple of views to display: albums, tracks, or albums and tracks.

But I have a lot of singles.
How do you guys display singles nicely?

Track details is the least worse for this, but I don't want all details, just artist, title, and the nice cover.
Can you do this somehow?

phred

• Global Moderator
Are your singles single tracks from albums, or singles as in 45s?

Either way you can tag them with as much or as little information as you like. Obviously the more info that is tagged the more you can do with your collection.

I have a number of 45s and 78s which I tag with artist, title, year, and A or B (in the track number field) indicating the side. You can leave the album title blank, but I use "Original 45s" and "Original 78s" as the album title to keep them altogether.  I then add artwork. It could be the record sleeve (if I still have it or can find it online) or simply a scan of the 45 itself.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Antonio

It's a bit hard to explain perhaps, because I am not sure what it would look like for myself.
But when I have friends over, have a simple view where everybody can just click on a single to play it or play next.
A bit like a jukebox?
So, no large album covers, no small track details, but something inbetween?

Is there maybe some sort of party mode for this?

I understand that this would need tracks to marked as being 'a single' for this purpose.
Some will be separate tracks, some will be on albums, but that's not a problem.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Assuming the album name is the track title for the single, it seems like Album Covers view would work fine for this. Maybe with the expanded view turned off.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Antonio

Assuming the album name is the track title for the single, it seems like Album Covers view would work fine for this. Maybe with the expanded view turned off.

Thank you psychoadept, I have tried that and some other things, but it does not give me that 'singles feel'.
It is a good view for albums and their covers, but I would like focus on hit singles, mainly just artist and song.

On second thought I may not even need a picture for them.
If the tracks that I have marked as 'hit single' come from an album, showing the album cover would not even be appropriate for most of them. And maybe a bit distracting too, taking up a lot of space and attention.

I found this idea, which is almost exactly what I am looking for:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24864.msg143235#msg143235

But that would probably need a new view option for the main panel that currently doesn't exist?

Antonio

Probably not many single or jukebox lovers around here.  ;D
Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:09:39 PM by Antonio

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Probably notw many single or jukebox lovers around here.  ;D

Phred has given you a few pointers. I use the word SINGLE in the GROUPING tag and Comments to store the relevant info, maybe a note about the B-side if not in your library. Suitable 45 rpm cover images can be found with Google..
You can then use a an auto-playlist to list the grouping tag=single, maybe genre=pop and decade is 1960 to 1969 from release year!
Freddy

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I have a number of 45s and 78s which I tag with artist, title, year, and A or B (in the track number field) indicating the side.

78's ? I remember those, shame I broke them all with an air rifle on a bomb-site in 1965  :-X
Got through too many gramophone needles really quick playing 78's..