Author Topic: Some annoying things about MusicBee I'd like to change  (Read 2342 times)

EGOlein

Hallo,

I am using MB for a few weeks now (coming from iTunes which got worse and worse) and I am quiet happy with it. Howerver, some things are really annoying to me and I wonder if I can change them!?

1. If I am editing the mp3-tags there is no prevention of losing data if I accidently click in the main window selecting another song. All changes are lost. Is it posible to protect of losing data (e.g. auto saving, preventing of changing the song in the edit window)?

2. Sometimes I use another software to change mp3-tags (still iTunes but even more often mp3tag). What I do not like is that MB does not refresh the mp3-tags automatically while opening the file (e.g. playing, editing) even if it regonises that there have been changes made outside MB (it shows that little red sign). Is it possible that MB always refreshes mp3 tags from the file (like iTunes does)? I know I can reimport the mp3-tags but this is manual work and I want MB to do it automatically if / before it uses the file.

3. I use plenty of auto-playlists which should refresh automatically. That works fine. However, there is one playlist which I do want to refresh only manually. I removed that tickmark from automatically refresh the matching tracks but it stills refreshes automatically if I change mp3-tags. What is the reason for that? What am I doing wrong?

4. I have tagged compilation albums with the iTunes compilation flag and the album artist is set to [various artists]. The year is tagged as the song's relase date (not the album release date). If I sort album artist/year/album (which I would like to have for all non-compilation albums) the sorting for compilation albums is exactly like that: All songs from a year are sorted together independently from the album. That means that I have as many clusters as years and wihtin each cluster there are plenty of songs from plenty of albums.
iTunes worked differently for compilations: the compilation album was never devided due to different years of songs but always stucked together. Is this also possible in MB?

Thanks for your help
EGOlein
Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:43:54 AM by EGOlein

sveakul

As far as your #2 goes, when you change the tags of library files with other software, if you want MusicBee to reflect the changes you need to rescan the file (right click, send to, file rescan).  This can be done automatically if you have set MB to use monitored folders and the "continuously monitor" box checked (Prefs, Library, monitored folders), or on the next restart if you check that option.

To rescan every file in your library in one go, then it's Tools/Advanced/Rescan all files.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
1) That's strange, when I switch tracks it usually prompts me to save. What version of the tag editor are you using? Main panel, floating window, vertical editor?

2) If you set up a monitored folder for your library, it should automatically pick up changes made outside of musicbee.

3) Yes, it's probably the tag changes that prompt this behavior. I'm not sure if this would be a wishlist request or a bug report...

4) You can't do this with the pre-made sorting options. However, you could make a virtual tag to use for sorting that would handle it for you.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

EGOlein

Hallo and thanks for your replies,

#1: I use the latest MusicBee-Version (MusicBee 3.2.6827) with this patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee32_Patched.zip from this thread: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=26509.msg150275#msg150275

#2: I have set up the monitored folder for my library - I think that's why MB recognises the changes made outside of MB. However, MB warns me that there have been changes (the mentioned red exclamation mark) but does not reflect the changes automatically until I rescan the file. I understand from your comments that there is no way which works automatically.

#3: My understanding is that the mp3-tag changes are the only way (besides new music) how this could work. And this is immanent in my understanding of the function. But perhaps my understanding is wrong. What is the objective of this function if mp3-tag changes triggers the matching tracks anyway even if disabled?

#4: Thanks for that hint. I will try out that later when all the other issues are solved (acutally I am currently not sure how this works and I have to find out but this seems to be a good way to get what I want).

EGOlein
Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:39:51 AM by EGOlein

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
1) I'm not asking what version of MusicBee but what set up you have for the tag editor

2) no, it works automatically for me. I don't get a notification of changes. I've actually never heard of MusicBee doing that. Is your monitored folder set to continuously monitor?

3) without that setting, a playlist regenerates every time you load it. If there's no limits on the contents you won't notice, but if you have it set to only x number of tracks it could change a lot
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

captain_paranoia

> I don't get a notification of changes. I've actually never heard of MusicBee doing that.

Library changes (new tracks, modifications to tracks) are quietly reported on the LHS of the status bar (the one that contains the stats about the library). This message appears some time after MB has started up, and has had time to find changes in the background. I have automatic rescan set to only run when MB is started, not continuously.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Library changes (new tracks, modifications to tracks) are quietly reported on the LHS of the status bar (the one that contains the stats about the library). This message appears some time after MB has started up, and has had time to find changes in the background. I have automatic rescan set to only run when MB is started, not continuously.

Does it happen specifically if you don't have continously monitor turned on? It's entirely possible it goes by so quickly I just haven't noticed, too.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

EGOlein

Hi everybody,

Sorry for responding so late. I have used the time to make some experiences with MusicBee and adapted it to my needs. However, I could not solve the most problems.

1. Sorry for the missunderstanding. I use only (!) ID3v2.3 tags within mp3 files. Meanwhile I had the request from MusicBee if I want to save changes - but only sometimes. Until now I do not understand when it asks and when it just loses all changes.

2. Yes, I set up MusicBee to scan the folder continously.

Here is a screenshot with that warning sign:

For those who do not understand German: The mouse-over text means "The processed file(s) was/were changed outside MusicBee - maybe it/they have to be memorised again to ensure that the newest tag data are shown and saved."

Is it possible that MusicBee needs more time for large libraries? My library is 21k+ files large.

Does it happen specifically if you don't have continously monitor turned on? It's entirely possible it goes by so quickly I just haven't noticed, too.
I haven't tried it but I will.

3. That works now - I don't know why.

4. I have not yet worked on the virtual tags.

Thanks for your help
EGOlein
Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:55:43 PM by EGOlein