Author Topic: Why does every program change my tags?  (Read 676 times)

Denise

I am frustrated right now. I have spent countless hours accurately tagging my music files-- over and over and over... Every time I import them into any music manager, whether the first time or the hundredth time, I get some bizarre tags that some nutcase on the internet put on them, even if they are marked as read-only and even if they displayed correctly before. I have been putting up with this for years. How do I stop all programs (including Music Bee) from deciding that I have my programs tagged wrong? I am tired of sloppy, inconsistent garbage. I am tired of my files winding up all over the place when I have them tagged accurately in the first place.

My other problem is with albums that insist on displaying songs out of order, even though they are clearly tagged correctly.

Someone, please tell me how to put a stop to this once and for all!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Are you working with mp3s?  I suggest you look at one of the problem files with MusicBee's tag inspector, which will show you what's actually in the file. I suspect that there might be different tags with different formats. (i.e. v1 or v2.3/2.4)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sveakul

In addition to what psychoadept said, you might want to check to see if you have "auto-tagging" enabled in MusicBee--Prefs/Tags(2)--and disable that if you do your own tagging as I do.  MusicBee does nothing to your tags unless you decide to let it, it certainly leaves mine alone.

You also made the comment that your files "wind up all over the place"; you may want to check if you are letting MusicBee "auto-organize" your files (Prefs/Library/music library/auto-organise media files).  Turn that off and everything stays where you put it.

Denise

Thanks, both of you. I am going to get things put right today.