Author Topic: Ability to Display More Than One Highlight Rule  (Read 8284 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'd love to see the ability to display more than one rule. I am currently using one rule to display a color when a track has no lyrics. I'd like the ability to add additional 'highlight' columns to show another color for tracks with low bitrates, and another to show no BPM. Currently only one highlight can be displayed and it's whichever rule MB sees first as a match.

Thanks.
Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:32:04 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

+1

This is a five-year-old wish of mine:

One of the unresolved issues with highlighting feature is how to display the field for tracks meeting multiple rules. Currently only one color can be shown for tracks, and if a track meets multiple rules, color of the higher-order rule applies to it. Thus there's no way to know if a track highlighted with a certain color meets other rules as well.

How about splitting the color bar into pieces when the tracks displayed on the main panel with highlight column enabled are meeting more than one rule? If there's a track meeting three rules, then all bars for displayed tracks would be split into three pieces of different colors. The order of color would follow the order of the rules. This way, the user would be able to identify tracks meeting multiple rules.

It would look something like this:

Not requesting unlimited number of color bars but even three would be great improvement.

phred

• Global Moderator
Not requesting unlimited number of color bars but even three would be great improvement.
Yes, while unlimited would be best, three would suffice.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

The number of matches displayed is now a configurable in the highlighting rules, limited to a maximum of 3 (the main reason for 3 max is space constraints on the grid album and tracks view). Also only one match displays in the album covers view due to visual constraints in that view

phred

• Global Moderator
This is really great. Thanks very much Steven.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

Thanks a lot for implementing this! It will make highlighting feature a lot more useful as now each track can show what rules it meets and what not.

limited to a maximum of 3

I think 3 is enough for color bars as we can also use separately or mix up with text coloring option.
One minor issue is icons always take precedence over color bars regardless of the order of rules. I guess multi-bar users should avoid using icons.

Steven

• Administrator
I forgot you can also show the highlight field directly in the expanded panel of the Album Covers view.
Thats also implemented now

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Thank you very much for this! Greatly appreciated  :)

One minor issue is icons always take precedence over color bars regardless of the order of rules. I guess multi-bar users should avoid using icons.
Or could we have MB resize the icons (7x14 with 2 selection, 4x14 with 3 selection) and mix those in with the standard colour bars?

Yes they would be distorted, but the colouring would be similar enough to easily recognize the matching icon.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Bee-liever

Or could we have MB resize the icons (7x14 with 2 selection, 4x14 with 3 selection) and mix those in with the standard colour bars?

Yes they would be distorted, but the colouring would be similar enough to easily recognize the matching icon.

Another idea for doing this would be to allow user defined smaller icons.
eg: the one I have for high resolution 24/96 flac files
HiRes.png 16x16

If I have smaller icons for when using 2 or 3 matches (named as HiRes_x2.png / HiRes_x3.png) in my Icon folder, then MB could use those along with the standard colour tags for the other matches.

If the smaller icons don't exist, than MB uses the current default of only showing the large icon for the first match

Steven

• Administrator
Another idea for doing this would be to allow user defined smaller icons.
eg: the one I have for high resolution 24/96 flac files
HiRes.png 16x16

If I have smaller icons for when using 2 or 3 matches (named as HiRes_x2.png / HiRes_x3.png) in my Icon folder, then MB could use those along with the standard colour tags for the other matches.

If the smaller icons don't exist, than MB uses the current default of only showing the large icon for the first match
if you set the max displayed to 2, MB would display icons ending in _x2.png, where they are 8x16 px
if you set the max displayed to 3, MB would display icons ending in _x3.png, where they are 5x16 px
if those named icons are not present for any active rule, only a single 16x16px icon is displayed for the first matching rule - there would need to be an x2 or x3 icon for every rule for this to work

does that match what you were thinking?

Bee-liever

does that match what you were thinking?

Yes please!
(Hmmm.  How come it sounds so much better the way you have written it out?  ;)  )

Steven

• Administrator
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

implemented ability to display multiple icons as well as described
if you set the max displayed to 2, MB would display icons ending in _x2.png, where they are 8x16 px
if you set the max displayed to 3, MB would display icons ending in _x3.png, where they are 5x16 px
if those named icons are not present for any active rule, only a single 16x16px icon is displayed for the first matching rule - there would need to be an x2 or x3 icon for every rule for this to work