Author Topic: I need help sorting out filenames when adding music to my library.  (Read 824 times)

amhywrd14

I've been using MusicBee for a while and I really like the program, but there's one thing that kind of bothers me, although I'm not sure how to fix it or if it can even be fixed.

I download all my music from YouTube using flvto.com. When a song is done downloading, I rename the file so it's "Artist - Song title" before moving it into my music folder in Windows Explorer. Then I go to MusicBee, click on Add Files to Library, and MusicBee scans my music folder and adds all the songs I've just downloaded to my library.

The problem is that no matter what I rename the music file as before I move it to my music folder, MusicBee keeps the exact title of the song as it's displayed on YouTube before I renamed it. For example, if the song is displayed on YouTube as "IZ*ONE (아이즈원) - La Vie en Rose (라비앙로즈) LYRICS 가사 (Color Coded Eng/Rom/Han)" but I rename the file as "IZ*ONE - La Vie en Rose" in my music folder, MusicBee will still add the file into my library under the name "IZ*ONE (아이즈원) - La Vie en Rose (라비앙로즈) LYRICS 가사 (Color Coded Eng/Rom/Han)", even though I've added the song directly from my music folder where it was listed as "IZ*ONE - La Vie en Rose."

I've been putting up with and just changing the filenames manually myself, but I wonder, is there something I can do to ensure that MusicBee keeps the renamed filename instead of the original?

frankz

Either turn off auto-organization or make your naming template for the file part simply <Filename> so it doesn't get changed when it gets moved.  It's only changing the file name because you're telling it to somewhere.

captain_paranoia

> The problem is that no matter what I rename the music file as before I move it to my music folder, MusicBee keeps the exact title of the song as it's displayed on YouTube before I renamed it.

That's because MusicBee, like most other media players/managers, is organising your music using the metadata embedded in the file. Changing the filename won't change the metadata.

You will have to edit the metadata tags to do this. You can infer new metadata tags from the path/filename.