Author Topic: Ability to rename files within the program?  (Read 23945 times)

tryguy

I'd be cool if I could have an option on the right-click menu to rename the file.

What I have to do now is go to Explorer, rename, go back to MB and rescan the library. It's not that much of a hassle, but the option to rename would be better. :)

Steven

• Administrator
for now, you can manually rename a file in the Tag Editor properties tab (if the file is not part of an auto-organised library)

Invictus

I would LOVE to see a way to rename files the way Quinnessential Media Player does it...short and sweet.

Steven

• Administrator
i dont have Quinnessential Media Player
could you describe briefly what it does or how you think it should work

VX

I would LOVE to see a way to rename files the way Quinnessential Media Player does it...short and sweet.

In QMP File Renamer is integrated smoothly with the Tag Editor and available via Right click menu entry: Edit Tags and Filenames
Here you go the screenshots that explain a lot:

The Tag Editor tab (first one):

The File Renamer tab (last one):

A. single file rename mode:

B. multi file rename mode:

I wish MB could follow the simplicity and power of the GUI for Renaming Files. What do You think  ???
Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:38:32 PM by VX

Utew

This is something that I would also find useful.

I use a file renaming program to do the job now, but being able to do the same thing in MB would be one less step to have to go through. I am just as picky about my music file names/folder structure as I am about music file tags. Invictus' suggestion of the Quintessential implementation, looks like a great idea.

Steven

• Administrator
while not rejecting the above, everyone does realise you can organise files with tags in MB using Tools/Organise Files or right click/Send To/Folder (Organised)?
or alternatively in the library preferences have MB automatically organise your library

Utew

"Send To Folder (Reorganize)"... yep, that works just fine. Had not tried that as the name of the function didn't seem likely to produce the results required. Thanks for pointing that out, Steven.. works like a charm, for renaming..  :)

VX

while not rejecting the above, everyone does realise you can organise files with tags in MB using Tools/Organise Files or right click/Send To/Folder (Organised)?
or alternatively in the library preferences have MB automatically organise your library
"Send To Folder (Reorganize)"... yep, that works just fine. Had not tried that as the name of the function didn't seem likely to produce the results required.

That is the real problem! Most users that switch to MusicBee didn't know that if they want to Rename a file they should Organise or Recognize it instead ;D Or if they want to do it with the (tag) Editor, they should edit the location line in the Properties tab.   :o It's completely deceptive, isn't it  ???

IMHO, that it's not an intuitive and expected solution  :-[ That's why there are more and more posts on the forum concerning the renaming and organizing functions (there is no an easy way to Capitalize the Filename as you can do with one of the the Tagging Utilities...).

I like the Organise Files Tool a lot as it allows to manage multiple files quickly, but it's not the point. I strongly recommend to redesign the current Editor in a way how it is done in Quinntessential Media Player (the project hasn't been actively developed for 3 years :()

1. The first step would be to change the current right-click 'Edit' command with 'Edit Tags and Filenames'  (with F 2 as default shortcut),

2. then create a separate 'Rename and Organise File/s' tab with easy accessible options and settings.

3. There should be predefined renaming patterns with different Placeholders

4. and Capitalization options accessible via expandable menus, like the the one that can be found in Quintessential Media Player or Tag Scanner.

Compare how it is solved in Tag Scanner, which also combines tag editing and renaming functions:

There are more and more interesting proposals in the Wishlist section on the forum, but IMHO enhancing the GUI to make it more intuitive and user-friendly when it comes to (in fact basic) renaming functions should be one of the top priorities.

When it is done the right-click menu would be simpler, more intuitive and powerful: Send to/Folder(Recognize) entry could be removed then.

Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:01:31 PM by VX

Adson

+ 1

I never noticed the "Send To ... Reorganise" function before I read this posting.
It's a very nice function that should not be hidden in the "Send To ..." menus.

A.

Steven

• Administrator
i dont want to clutter up the main context menu with too many items. Even if its not noticable from the "Send To" menu its still obvious in the main Tools menu

VX

i dont want to clutter up the main context menu with too many items. Even if its not noticable from the "Send To" menu its still obvious in the main Tools menu
I second that approach. I would go a bit further in that direction:

1. why not to remove Auto-DJ from the Send to menu (it's accessible from 'Play more...' command);

2. merge Send to/Folder into one expandable entry

Send to/Folder/
- move
- copy
- burn (i.e. copy the selected tracks or albums into a folder, then burn the folder with default Windows utility and preferably delete it when the burn process is successfully completed, unless a user choose the option to leave it for future burnings);

Send to / Library/
  - MusicBee Library no. 1
  - MusicBee Library no. 2 ...
  - Windows 7 Music Library;

Send to / List Maker (under the last separator alongside other tools; this would export selected tracks to a list as:)
     -  CSV Excel file,
     -  HTML file (with COVERS AND STATISTICS),
     - TXT file (with information of the content of each folder),
     - XML file (for album lists creation) compare[u/]:

3. merge Auto-Tag by Track and by Album into one expandable entry  Auto-Tagger ???
Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:26:16 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
i've added a Rename button to the tag editor. It opens a simplified file organiser dialog where you can rename the current file being edited based on tag values for the file

VX

I was searching for the Rename button in the few latest development builds and was not able find it.  :-[

I've discovered it by accident today changing the way Editor is shown form Main Panel (my default option) to Floating Window.

I like the solution in Floating Window, but the Editor docked to Main Panel needs to be improved as it's not so obvious that a user should search for essential commands under the expandable arrow. Why not adding a separate bar with the commands(buttons) on the top of the Editor  ???

I do insist on changing the 'Edit' command in the right-click menu to 'Edit tags and filenames (F2)'

F2 is standard shortcut for renaming in most Windows applications and the above command would be more informative.
 The current "Edit" could be misleading: Edit what ??? Selected audio track with external audio editor  ???

Thank you for the improvements  :)
Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:02:13 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
Why not adding a separate bar with the commands(buttons) on the top of the Editor  ???
i'm wondering why i didnt do that in the first place! no doubt there was some reason when i did it way back at the start of MB