Author Topic: Option to redefine search terms  (Read 3969 times)

tryguy

I have tracks that belong to compilations, but that I'd rather locate album art for.

Mostly, the default search (for cover art) comes up with nothing. When I right-click and choose Search Internet, it tries again, but with the same search terms.

I'd like to have the option to edit the terms it uses and send it off to look again, in case it fails to locate things like it does. When it succeeds, I'd still like the ability to change the search terms, because it may have succeeded in coming up with rubbish.

I can easily do this externally with browser/google/wiki, but it would be great if I could just edit/re-submit and let it collect more relevant covers from whereever it normally looks.

Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
you might try out the Album Auto-tagger (right click/Auto-Tag by Album) which allows interactive searching

tryguy

Yep, that works. :)

What I have to do is do a quick wiki search to find out exactly which album the song comes from, and then I can use that in the MB dialogue to locate the right cover. It's good, because it fills in extra tag info at the same time.

VX

you might try out the Album Auto-tagger (right click/Auto-Tag by Album) which allows interactive searching

I've been using Auto-Tag by Album and I think it works great  :) To my surprise, it often gives me better results than Auto-Tag by Track (no matter, which options are enabled). This remark refers to the situation when all you have is Artist and Title and all other tag fields are empty.

Auto-Tag by Track often retrieves missing tags from various compilations, whereas Album Auto-tagger allows to choose from the Artist albums.

Let me suggest a little enhancement for Auto-Tag by Album:
add an option to take into account the track title in search criteria.
That option would narrow search results significantly. If the Album Artist is taken into account (assuming that Album title is unknown), user have to browse through more than 20 albums of the Artist sometimes to find the one that contains the searched track.
That is very time consuming activity and the feature could be automated by creating extra track title field in the search criteria.

Thank you for considering  :)
Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:42:51 AM by VX

VX

Is there any chance to optionally include track title to the Auto-Tagger search criteria as it was described in the previous post  ???

I would really like to see the feature in one of the future MB releases. Thanks for considering and supporting the idea  :)

VX

I've been trying the latest MB build as the changes in the Auto-Tagger seems very promising. Thank you very much :)

However, I haven't found any improvements when it comes to the problem described in my post above (February 20, 2011, 11:21:43 AM).
I wonder if there is a chance to enhance the Auto-Tagger in a suggested way  ???

Steven

• Administrator
i've had a look at this, but i dont think its going to work in an acceptable way. The problem is the data returned from the web-service does not include the titles of the tracks on an album for the initial query. That means MB would have to do another query for each album returned and if you imagine 20 albums taking up to 5-10 seconds for each album, its going to be way too slow

VX

Thank you very much for considering the request  :) It's a pity that the web-service query has the limitation. It might be slow, but I guess it would be much faster than the current solution, so maybe you could try to implement the feature, please  ???