Author Topic: Add / Remove artwork via track info panel  (Read 1642 times)

redwing

Currently there's no way to "add" a picture in the clipboard (copied from a browser) to the track via track info panel.

Among the several context menu items, "Save Picture to" command always duplicates the currently displayed picture on the track info panel.
The second one "Paste" always replaces the existing picture. For instance, if a file has an embedded image pasting a new image as folder.jpg removes the embedded image. Likewise when it has an external image linked, pasting a new image as an embedded image removes the external image.
Lastly "Choose Picture" command only works when you have an image file in the same folder with the track.

I think Paste command should "add" a picture rather than "replace" an existing one (except when it explicitly mentions "original picture"). Most people wouldn't expect running "Paste" command with a new image would delete an existing embedded or linked image without confirmation.
Deleting any images should only be done via a separate command. In fact it would be great if track info panel could also delete a displayed picture via context menu. Currently only tag editor and artwork manager are able to delete a picture.

Steven

• Administrator
I have been looking at this and one thing you said is confusing me:
"Most people wouldn't expect running "Paste" command with a new image would delete an existing embedded or linked image without confirmation."

I dont agree with that statement ie. I think the usual thing for Paste is to replace the selected thing. However looking at the existing code for v3.3 I cannot see how MB wouldnt prompt you if you are replacing an existing picture. It definitely wont prompt if you disable prompting and there is no existing artwork, but once a file has some artwork it should always prompt.
So can you confirm the comment?

redwing

When you click "Paste", you get the dialog to select where to paste. If it already has an embedded cover, you select folder.jpg or cover.jpg for the new picture. Click OK. Then the new picture is added as an external picture and the embedded picture is gone.
What does it prompt?
Or try the opposite. Select embedded when it has only an external picture. Then it will remove it when adding the embedded.

I think the usual thing for Paste is to replace the selected thing.

But in this case the selected option has no image.

Steven

• Administrator
Thats what i would expect. In any case I have included a Paste Add and also a Remove command to the picture context menu

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

redwing

Works great!
Yes, a different command looks a good idea as it can add an additional embedded picture.
Also I like that it allows to save a picture in a new name like back.jpg.
Thanks a lot!

Steven

• Administrator
please redownload as there is a bug when using certain dialogs such as the album auto-tagger

Steven

• Administrator
Also I like that it allows to save a picture in a new name like back.jpg.
there is a bug when you change the format using a different filename extension eg. jpg file saved as .png wasnt converting to .png