Author Topic: Digital Audio Player Recommendations  (Read 30575 times)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
There might be an issue with syncing from MB, both wired and WiFi. MB recognizes the card in the phone, but a preview appears to not complete either wired or wifi. Actually that's incorrect. It completes wifi, but it's showing that all 27k files need to be transferred. Which is not correct. Wired preview seems to never complete. I'm digging into this and if I can't get it resolved I'll post to the WiFi sync thread.

It can be a long and arduous journey to perfection and it seems your goal is now within reach!
Good luck  :D

phred

• Global Moderator
All is now configured and working well. It appears the sync previews were actually working and that I was just being somewhat impatient. There are 28k files to look at when MB is gathering info on what needs to be synced and that was taking longer than expected. Once I just launched it and came back in half an hour the data was listed. I then unplugged and did a WiFi sync and the preview was quite fast with four new albums added. And the sync was completed in an acceptable amount of time.

Next (and final) test is to plug it into my car's audio system and see if it sounds as good as with headphones.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P

Care in the (Forum) community!
That's good news.
Do you get an on-screen indication of how much % has been scanned?
Tut tut -  but understandable re: the impatience  :D

phred

• Global Moderator
Do you get an on-screen indication of how much % has been scanned?
Not during the preview. But yes in the MB status bar when doing a wired sync. Can't remember if MB's status bar shows % during a wifi sync.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P

Not during the preview. But yes in the MB status bar when doing a wired sync. Can't remember if MB's status bar shows % during a wifi sync.

Easy to get fed up waiting if/when no progress indications, especially when syncing such a large number of tracks....

phred

• Global Moderator
Here's what I think (hope) will be my final update to my adventure of finding a decent mp3 player...

After having the LG V20 for about a week, I took an out of town trip for about a week. The device was on, and I listened to music via GMMP for the entire three hour flight. The battery life dropped by a little less than ten percentage points. Same on the flight back. When carrying on my business, it was on for probably four or five hours every day and only needed to be charged once.

Bottom line is that I'm really happy with this solution and I should've listened sooner to the folks who suggested it.

Thank you all.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Bottom line is that I'm really happy with this solution and I should've listened sooner to the folks who suggested it.

Thank you all.

Good to hear, happy days, so what's next then? Headphones? (AKG ✔) Earbuds? (Sennheiser ✔) maybe....

phred

• Global Moderator
Good to hear, happy days, so what's next then? Headphones? (AKG ✔) Earbuds? (Sennheiser ✔) maybe....
Not exactly. Not being an audiophile saves me lots of money. My headphones are SkullCandy Grind wired/wireless, used almost 100% of the time with bluetooth. And up until a couple of years ago, I never found a pair of earbuds that felt comfortable. Until I got my Samsung S8 which came with a pair of AKG buds. Since I replace that dead phone with another S8, I now have two pair of the AKGs.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Not exactly. Not being an audiophile saves me lots of money. My headphones are SkullCandy Grind wired/wireless, used almost 100% of the time with bluetooth. And up until a couple of years ago, I never found a pair of earbuds that felt comfortable. Until I got my Samsung S8 which came with a pair of AKG buds. Since I replace that dead phone with another S8, I now have two pair of the AKGs.

Extra free AKG's no too shabby! Ill try to find something else for you on Amazon....
I'm not really an audiophile per sè, but even a crusty old 128kbs mp3 can sound better with good 'cans'..

I've not progressed to blue-teeth yet, I've only just got used to cables, after years of listening to the wireless where you had to tune into a station with a germanium diode aka 'cats whisker'  :D

phred

• Global Moderator
I've not progressed to blue-teeth yet, I've only just got used to cables, after years of listening to the wireless where you had to tune into a station with a germanium diode aka 'cats whisker'  :D
Ahhh ... Were you there when Marconi sent his first message across the pond?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Thank you all.

And thank you for keeping us posted with your quest and experiences.
It has probably saved me from buying a player I would not have ended up very satisfied with.
(the small Shanling)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Ahhh ... Were you there when Marconi sent his first message across the pond?

Negative, as that would make me about 140 years old, but granddad may have mentioned it!  ;D

phred

• Global Moderator
And thank you for keeping us posted with your quest and experiences.
It has probably saved me from buying a player I would not have ended up very satisfied with.
(the small Shanling)
You're quite welcome. As you know, the main reason I took a chance with the Shanling was that it was returnable. And I knew within an hour that it was going back. Small is good, but it was really unusable.

As an aside - the new battery I bought for the V20 is not an original as LG doesn't sell them any longer and a lot of the reviews for the original battery (on sites like Amazon and eBay) state that they're fakes. I got a well-rated off-brand that is ever so slightly thicker than the original. If I accidentally bump the phone sometimes the back cover pops off. I'm thinking of putting two rubber bands around the top and bottom. It may look goofy, but it's mostly in my pocket anyway.

EDIT: Typos
Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 02:20:35 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Andito

Hi Phred,

I am anticipating the loss of my tried-and-true iPod and iTunes, and it sounds like you put in tons of work to find the best alternative.  Are you still using the V20, and if so, do you have any advice for someone wanting to basically replicate their iTunes experience?

phred

• Global Moderator
Are you still using the V20, and if so, do you have any advice for someone wanting to basically replicate their iTunes experience?
Getting the V20 was (and still is) one of the best decisions I've made. I really don't know much about later LG models, but two very great things about the V20 are that it takes an SD card and the battery is user-replaceable. I believe when I was researching it the specs said it could take up to a 256gb SD card. I put in a 512 and had no issues. As my collection grew, I replaced the 512 with a 1tb and still have no issues. I can carry my entire music collection in my pocket.

The aftermarket battery I bought for it died after about a year and replaced it with one that I'm still using today. And it fits better than the first one so I don't need to hold it together with rubber bands. :-)

I have the premium version of GoneMad and use MB's WiFi Sync app to sync from MB to the V20. Again, no issues. I don't use reverse (two-way) syncing. Nor do I care about song/album ratings. I'm closing in on 100 playlists that are pulled from almost 40,000 tracks and that's all on the V20's 1tb card with plenty of room to my collection to grow. When I need more space, I'll dump the Classical tracks I have on the V20 as I mostly use it in the car and/or when traveling and Classical doesn't do anything for me while driving other than put me to sleep and I'm told that's not a good thing.

I don't know if you'll find a V20 at this point in time. I got mine about three years ago through ebay. I paid under 100 USD for it. If you're aiming to use a "smart" phone strictly as a music player, you don't need a current model. Nor a wireless carrier plan. I can use its WiFi if/when I want to connect to the world.

I never used itunes other than once to get my ipod classic set up to use MB. You can see my post in the Tips & Tricks section (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18506.0).

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have. And I'm curious to see where you wind up.
Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:52:41 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki