Author Topic: Digital Audio Player Recommendations  (Read 30582 times)

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
An M11 is currently in transit to me, though the Play store can't be used due to Google not wanting to support older versions of Android.

I am not sure what that quote means - my old phones are only running Android 4.1, and they are still completely supported on the Play Store.  SOME of the newer apps say they will not load, or they give a warning because the OS version is too old, but that is an app-specific thing, not related to Google or Play Store support as far as I can tell.

In short, it's a new device running old Android (7). Google would not allow Google Services or the Play store to run on it. Devices that already had the Play store didn't have it removed.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
The LG was ordered this morning and has already shipped from about 200 miles from me. So it could be here as soon as Saturday or Monday although its arrival is "guaranteed no later than Wednesday."

Has the mail man been today?

phred

• Global Moderator
Seems like you're more excited about this than I am. :-)
No, not yet, but it's early here (9:45am) and tracking shows that it is 'out for delivery.' Which means it'll be delivered at some point today.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Seems like you're more excited about this than I am. :-)

Almost but not quite  :D
Bet you're twitching the curtains every time you hear a vehicle!

phred

• Global Moderator
Bet you're twitching the curtains every time you hear a vehicle!
Had I been home all day waiting, they yes. I would've been a twitching phool. But I was out all day and just returned. It's been delivered, and unboxed. There is/was about 4% battery life, but it did power up. Might not really get to try it out until tomorrow. So stay tuned.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
It's been delivered, and unboxed. There is/was about 4% battery. Might not really get to try it out until tomorrow. So stay tuned.

Good new thus far..
I'm as tuned as i'm ever going to get, just hoping it charges beyond the 4% and don't need a new battery!
And works, and sounds good, and accepts a 400gb MicroSD card ect... the suspense is torturous!

phred

• Global Moderator
With apologies to The Beatles, here's the next chapter in The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill.

The LG has a slight chip in the lower left corner of the frame. It's only a cosmetic issue and if I decide to put a case on it, it won't be seen at all. I hardly notice it's there, and it's not a sharp chip so I won't cut myself.

There's a slight reddish hue dead center of the screen. Since this will be a music player and not a picture viewer, I don't care. What's odd about it is that while it appears on everything, when I take a screenshot, it's not there.

It has an original LG battery with a manufactured date of November 2016, so I'm looking to replace that as soon as possible. I'm looking for battery recommendations.

I've been installing some utility apps so I can easily transfer files back and forth between the LG and my PC. And while I do have MB installed, I haven't done any syncing with it yet. But since 27,000+ tracks are on my SD card, in it went and I had music. To my non-audiophile ears, I'm very happy.

Hopefully there will be time later tonight to test out the syncing.

So far, so good.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
... To my non-audiophile ears, I'm very happy.
Hopefully there will be time later tonight to test out the syncing.
So far, so good.

That is good news for me and Bungalow Bill  :D

phred

• Global Moderator
That is good news for me and Bungalow Bill  :D
Well that didn't last too long. Just ran into a problem and it could be a deal-breaker.

When I attach the USB cable it starts charging. There's no option in the drop-down from the status bar to transfer files from USB.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Well that didn't last too long. Just ran into a problem and it could be a deal-breaker.

When I attach the USB cable it starts charging. There's no option in the drop-down from the status bar to transfer files from USB.

The charging is normal, but isn't there an option to select MTP in one of the Android settings?
Is this to test a wired sync before adventuring into Wifi territory ?

frankz

That is good news for me and Bungalow Bill  :D

What carrier was the phone made for? Quick Google shows slightly different instructions for various carriers.  This is AT&T for example:
https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1272446?make=LG&model=LGH910

Then there's this on XDA:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72014294&postcount=7
Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:38:29 PM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
What carrier was the phone made for? Quick Google shows slightly different instructions for various carriers.  This is AT&T for example:
https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1272446?make=LG&model=LGH910

Then there's this on XDA:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72014294&postcount=7
The phone was originally made for Verizon. My phone doesn't do what the first link shows, which is for an AT&T phone. It shows "Charging" and if I tap it, it goes back to the home screen.

Your second link showed some promise. I've enabled Developer Options and changed USB from charging to MTP. After a restart, it's back to 'charging' again. I can't get MTP to stick.

I've contacted the eBay seller and will ask for an exchange. He's got a 99.9% rating so I doubt there's going to be an issue.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
One minor update about this saga.

The eBay seller got back to me and said he offers 30 days no questions asked. And 60 days if it's a functionality problem. Well, this is definitely a functionality problem. But I don't need 60 days.

I took it to a Verizon store this afternoon and they confirmed there's something wrong with the phone as it should allow MTP file transfers via USB.

I emailed the seller and asked for an exchange. Now we  wait.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
The seller not only sent me a postage-free return shipping label, but suggested I order the replacement phone as soon as he issues the refund. That way a new 60 days starts. And exchange would keep the start date as if it was the original order.

My only question is why is this seller only rated at 99.9%? He really should be even higher than 100%.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
The saga is about to reach a successful conclusion.

The replacement LG V20 arrived and the first thing I did was check to see if it could transfer files via USB. Which it could. And the strange reddish artifact on all screens isn't present on this device. It's somewhat different than the returned V20 as this has a FM radio chip and the stock app for it works nicely.

I've got GMMP installed along with the few 'essential' utilities. My 512gb card was read instantly and scanned by GMMP and it sounds just fine via headphones.

There might be an issue with syncing from MB, both wired and WiFi. MB recognizes the card in the phone, but a preview appears to not complete either wired or wifi. Actually that's incorrect. It completes wifi, but it's showing that all 27k files need to be transferred. Which is not correct. Wired preview seems to never complete. I'm digging into this and if I can't get it resolved I'll post to the WiFi sync thread.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki