Author Topic: Genre and genre category  (Read 6626 times)

gsands

When I select 'Genre Category' in the left hand column, why have I got a status of '[Empty]' for (539 tracks)? All my files (1813 tracks) have a genre and I have never entered a 'Genre Category', I don't even know how to.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

MusicBee has many genres already assigned to a category, but you can also add your own. You'll find genre category definition in Tags(2) preferences.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

gsands

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
Maybe I did not express myself very well, I can see genre category definition in Tags(2) preferences but this does not answer my question.
When I select 'Genre Category' in the left hand column, why have I got a status of '[Empty]' for (539 tracks)?

frankz

You need to categorize whatever Genre tag those files have.  As they stand now, whatever Genre they're tagged as is not attached to a Genre Category.

gsands

Hi Frankz,

Thank you, I feel I'm getting somewhere now.

Just one problem, how do you do what you have suggested?

I have searched all over MusicBee and I can't seem to find anywhere that allows me to Categorise the Genre Tags, I must be missing something.

Are you able to give me a step by step on how to do this, sorry to impose but I'm just getting frustrated, it's probably easy but I just can't see it.

Thanks in advance

Graham

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You said you can see the Categorize button in Tags (2), right? From there, you just add items to the list of genres. It's either genre:category or category:genre, depending on whether you're sorting by Genre or Category.  If it's easier, you can copy all the genres out to a text file, update it, and copy it back (overwriting all the contents of the box)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

gsands

Hi psychoadept,

Great, it works, I tried it, thank you heeps

Graham