Author Topic: Artist - adding country of origin to Artist  (Read 2004 times)

SONOVMI

Hello everyone,

I have been using Musicbee for a year or so now. I have recently updated to newest version and I'm really enjoying it. 

I write music reviews for a magazine and I could really use some help.

What I want to do is set up a 'Country of Origin' tag/filed or whatever (what's the correct term)? I want it to be displayed beside 'Artist Profile' 'Similar Artists' etc. I want to be able to go into 'edit' - (when I right click over an album) and add the country of origin so I can then click this field to find every band from Poland or UK etc. Please, in simple terms, how can I achieve this?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I don't know about displaying it with Similar Artists, but I have a custom tag for this. Here's more info on Custom Tags: https://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SONOVMI

Thanks for the reply.

By displaying it with similar artist - I just mean so it shows up beside that and the other options - profile, More albums etc.

I'm afraid that I'm a bit baffled by your custom tags link... Can you please provide step by step instruction? I honestly need the help, it's not laziness - I've been trying to sort this for four hours straight.   :(

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
In Tags(1), choose an unassigned custom tag slot (probably the first one) and give it a name, maybe Country.

In the "save to music file as tag" box, choose Location. (I believe this is built in, but if it's not there, go to Define New Tags, enter "Location" in the first Identifier box, let it autofill the other fields, save and return to the main preferences, and then look in "save to music file as tag" again.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SONOVMI

Hello again,

thanks but - ''In Tags(1), choose an unassigned custom tag slot (probably the first one) and give it a name, maybe Country.''
There is no Tags(1) - only Tags and Tags(2) - there is custom 1:, custom 2: etc. in Tags(2) though.

In the "save to music file as tag" box, choose Location. (I believe this is built in, but if it's not there, go to Define New Tags, enter "Location" in the first Identifier box, let it autofill the other fields, save and return to the main preferences, and then look in "save to music file as tag" again.)

There is no 'save to music file as tag' - only save. I don't understand the rest...

I have tried to follow by using tags(2) and just 'save' but nothing shows up. I cannot enter an actual country in a field that says 'country of origin'. I thought this would be easy!  :-X

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It sounds like you're looking at the tag editor. Have a look in preferences and see if it makes more sense.

https://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tags_Preferences

(Page is slightly out of date, sort artist is now a built in tag so the first custom slot should be available)
Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:16:03 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)