Author Topic: LINUX?  (Read 5390 times)

Argento601

Hi guys,
I was planning to use linux as main OS, but the lack of musicbee is stopping me :(

Did anyone tried it on linux, or there is a plan to made a linux version of it?
Thanks.  :D  :D
Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:46:11 PM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
There will not be a Linux version of MB. Please search the forum to see how some users have MB running under Wine.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Spiron

Probably a good idea to add a little update to what works.  Long story short 3.2 works fine in most respects.  On my linux installation (Arch with latest updates as of Oct 25 2018) the things that don't are:
- Drag and drop within the "Now Playing" list.  This is due to Wine not having an interface that Steven used to redo the drag and drop in 3.1.  Work around is to manually set Queue Next on the required tracks.
- CD Burning/Ripping.  CD Playing still works if you've got wine pointed to your CD mount but Wine doesn't provide direct device access nor the CD drive APIs
- MTP Device Sync.  Similar to CD, Wine doesn't provide device pass through
- The File Converters section in the Preferences.  I have no idea why this one fails

I haven't found other noticeable bugs although you may need to fiddle around with the codecs your distro provides.  32 bit libraries are needed and some can make them awkward to install

MusicMovesMySoul

I'd also like this for Linux.

I plan to move away from the toxic Windows as soon as I can.

Things are getting worse with the evils spying on us & now I'm hearing that truthers' files are being wiped from their Windows.

There's more, but I won't go into that here since most people won't believe me anyway even if it is true - sigh

phred

• Global Moderator
There will not be a Linux version of MB. Please search the forum to see how some users have MB running under Wine.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

smann

A Windows 10 Home license is only $139 to purchase. You could create a partition for that to run MusicBee there. That's what I plan on doing in the future when I set up a full-fledged Linux server.

It's not perfect, nor free, but it'll make things as easy as possible for you and guarantee that all future updates and versions of MB run smoothly.